Bob
Bob
  • Westminster, CO

How to keep Bees out?

BetsyLisa S.Linda Sikut
+8

I have the little wasps that keep going in the gap between the brick and the siding. I caulked the opening at night when they were not around. This lasted for a few days until they made a hole in the caulking. I re-caulked it hole and it only lasted a few days until they made a hole again.
Does anybody have any ideas, because I am stumped?

• Rose Broadway

See if you can poke some steal wool in the gap, then caulk. I know this is the way you can block mice who chew through things.

Use low expanding spray foam in the cavity. One that's made for doors and windows. Stick the tube in as far as it will go and spray. Cut out any foam that oozes once it hardens. Caulking the opening still leaves the cavity open and they will try to get in. Also spray the area with vinegar to destroy the pheromone scent the bees leave.

Unfortunately, you might have to part with a bit of wine! Red, mostly. Take a large plastic pop bottle, cut the top 1/3 off. Pour a bit of wine, about 1/2 inch, in the bottom of the bottle with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Slosh this around. Put the top 1/3 of the bottle, small opening facing down into the bottom, so you have a big opening on top and where you would pour pop out if it was intact, on the inside, like a funnel. Then, tape the 2 pieces together. Put this on the ground or where ever the bees or wasps are congregating and leave it alone. They will fly into the bottle and drown. They can't get back up the small opening. You may need a couple if you have loads of wasps. Empty out when it gets a lot of bees or wasps. (Don't pour them out for the ants to eat, because the ants are destroying the infrastructure of whatever they are digging and tunneling under. ) They usually die in the winter, leaving the queen and her eggs to over winter. Once you get rid of the wasps, spray something like Home Defense into the crack. Even when dry, this stuff will kill any but that walks on the sprayed surface for about 5 or 6 months, unless it gets rained on, then you have to respray. Good luck. I have a bottle by my rose bush and it has wasps in it.
  • Linda Sikut

Someone just told me today that cut up cucumber will keep them away. I've never tried it but that person swears by it. At night the bees are inside - that's why they're not around and why they try to get out. If you use some the Great Stuff (I think that's what it's called) that William mentioned followed by caulking, it should cut off their air supply so the can't get out. Your other option is to find a bee keeper in your area. Bees are essential for our food and their population is getting smaller. A bee keeper would take them with him so that you don't have the problem. (I'd still seal it up) But the bees would be gone.
  • Lisa S.

I had a similar problem . Bees coming in thru gaps in the brick mortar. I was no tin the position to have it repointed. Frist I sprayed in there with bee spray. Then , I had the spray foam insulation with a think tip. Sprayed it in, being careful NOT to get it on the bricks. Worked like a charm - no more problems.

I meant 'any bug that walks on it', sorry:) This is a cheap and easy fix, but unfortunately some wine has to be sacrificed:) Pop might work.