Cause of a loaf (nut) bread to sink in the middle?

FlipturnBarbara BaldwinPat21977374
+6

• Dee Gonyea

Too much, or expired baking powder can cause bread to "fall." I assume it looked normal when you took it out, and then it sank as it cooled. Also, if it sits in the pan before baking, it can impact the leavening process. Disappointing, I know!
  • Flipturn

A nut bread loaf batter can be quite dense. If the heat in the oven is too high, then initially the top centre part of the loaf will rise up quickly.
    However, as the moisture in the centre of the loaf continues to escape as the batter is baking, it will go up into the raised top of the loaf.
    Due to the length of time that the loaf needs to be fully baked, the centre raised part will not be strong enough to stay up until the rest of the loaf is fuly baked, and can fully support the height.
    Result- it will fall.
    Solution- reduce the temperature in the oven a little, and try the recipe again.

Keep in mind that athough a recipe might list a suggested baking temperature, all ovens are not equal.
  • Catherine Anspaugh

I would assume the leavening agent was expired.
  • Sandra Vining

Maybe it needed to bake a while longer Happens to all of us
  • Flipturn

If the question was why does the loaf not rise in the first place,? then expired baking powder would be a cause.
    Here the question was why does the loaf sink in the middle?, meaning it did rise, but then why did not stay up?

• Pat21977374

Need to bake it longer. I've done this and it breaks my heart!

• Barbara Baldwin

Patricia is right. The only time you want that to happen is with brownies..
  • Flipturn

You're welcome.
    Baking: A Lunchtime to Learn, a Lifetime to Perfect .