Flawless Chaos
Flawless Chaos
  • Flower Mound, TX

Concrete Countertops

$300
1 Week

This was our (my husband and I) second attempt at doing concrete countertops. We liked our lakehouse kitchen so much we decided to try the countertops again, but this time with a molded edge making it not quite as rustic of a look.
Here is the kitchen/countertops "before" pic. Outdated formica.
concrete countertops
concrete countertops
We started by removing all the formica countertops and installing the new sink, which will require the cabinets below to be reconfigured (but that's another project). The first time we did the countertops, we poured them outdoors, but this time we wanted to try pouring them in place. This required cement boards to be used as the base of the counter. Drilled in place to the cabinets. For the sink, we secured a thick piece of styrofoam cut to accomodate the outline of the sink.
concrete countertops
Originally we had just done a plain square edge, but for these counters we ordered the edging mold from www.concretecountertopsolutions.com. The mold is screwed down to the cement board, then duct taped at the corners. Then we added welded steel wire mesh for reinforcement.
concrete countertops
Next step - mix your concrete and pour into the molds. You want the concrete pretty wet... read the instructions on the bag of concrete for water to mix ratio. We used Quickcrete, very cheap and basic. If you want a smoother concrete there are finer blends that are much more expensive. I prefer the Quickcrete look over the fine blend...Here you can see I was using a piece of the old formica as my flat edge to get the poured concrete level. We used our palm sander to "shake" the edges. Do that for at least 15 minute per counter area to get the air bubbles out.
concrete countertops
Let your concrete set up for 24 hours before you pull off the molds. These molds are build to break away on the bottom edge after pouring. We used a small crow bar to help get the molds off. Then use a palm sander with 80 weight paper to sand the really rough first layer off. This makes a giant mess, so wear a mask and make sure to tarp off your area.
concrete countertops
The next step is to slurry the counters, using a fine blend of concrete mixed very thin that goes on the top of the counters to fill in any tiny holes or cracks. We used a product called Henry feather finish. You may only need to do this step once..or a few times depending on how well (level and smooth) you actually got your countertops poured. There were some holes in the edging, so I used some of the thicker slurry to fill those in by hand. The slurry dries really quick, so don't mix too much at any one time...or you will be throwing it away.
concrete countertops
Then it's time to sand, you can continue to use the palm sander as you get closer to the finished countertop reduce the coarseness of sand paper. With these counters we purchased a diamond polished head for the drill. Add water to the surface and polish away, but again this is a messy step because the slurry will go flying. Cover any nearby appliances or cabinets/walls. I am going to redo the cabinets, so we weren't too worried about getting them dirty.
concrete countertops
The last step in this process is to coat with concrete sealer, we used a product callled Clear Seal from Sealcrete. I did three coats with a small soft roller, but brushed the edges.
concrete countertops
These are the finished counters and they are so cool!
concrete countertops
Check out my website for more projects like this
concrete countertops
The full kithchen remodel will be posted in a few weeks.
concrete countertops
Finished Kitchen - definitely a success!
For more details check out the finished project:

• Quickcrete  (home depot)
  • Molds  (www.concretecountertopsolutions.com)
Flawless Chaos

• Che22083431

Nice job! How did you get your color and from the lake house what did you learn NOT to do that made the second one easier. Also pour inside or out? Which worked better for you?
    • Flawless Chaos

Hi Cheryl, the grey color is 100% natural concrete, nothing added. Pouring inside and outside, both have their benefits and draw backs. Pouring inside is much easier because they are in place, but it's super messy! If you have smaller counter areas, I would recommend outside. But most counter's are pretty long, which we broke our long counter at the lake and it had to be patched. But that wasn't too much work. If you pour in place, you don't have any seams - which is better.
  • Nan12954441

Beautiful job...very impressive ! If the concrete is gray and dries gray, how does yours have a beautiful sort of buckskin color in the photos ?
    • Flawless Chaos

I say grey but there are different colors in the concrete because of the different rocks and the slurry makes it a tad bit darker. But this is a natural concrete counter with no added color.
  • Tammy Waggoner

did you add color to your concrete
    • Flawless Chaos

Hi Tammy, there is no color added. This is the same concrete used to make a side walk... But when you sand it, slurry and seal it, it looks very rich!