Kim K.
Kim K.
  • Sharpsburg, GA

Does anyone know how to get dried, oil base paint out of a t-shirt?

Anne WingateJohnavallance82Ed Cannon
+8

I've tried alcohol and Goo Gone and neither of those worked. Thanks, in advance for any suggestions!

• Roxaneg

Use turpentine or mineral spirits and try soaking the spot for several minutes to hours. You need to use the solvent/thinner for the paint.

Try a dab of hydrogen peroxide mixed with blue dawn dish soap
    • Kim K.

Hi Janet. Thanks for your suggestion. Just wondering, wouldn't the hydrogen peroxide bleach the T-shirt?
  • Bijous

Try paint thinner for oil based paints. Soak the spot for at least an hour or two. Good luck.
  • Linda Sikut

Try this website. Scroll down to find the part you need. Keep scrolling when you find the part that says "Read More Below"

Good luck!
  • Ed Cannon

I have used lacquer thinner with fair results
  • Johnavallance82

Dirt Devil stain remover..........
  • Anne Wingate

Does the T-shirt have sentimental value or did you pay a mint for it? I'd just toss and replace. My husband was on sea duty when I had our first child. He got leave and came home to see the baby--I was living with my parents at the time. The day before he came home he went to his aunt's house and helped her husband paint. Then he very kindly and considerately brought the paint-stained clothes home for me to wash. Words were had, but I did wash them and they came out fairly clean.
    • Kim K.

Hi Anne. Oh believe me, if it were any old Tshirt, I would've tossed it out. I love throwing things out. Ask my husband. When we eat out and he hands me the receipt, I crumble it up right there in front of his face. Lol. It's my daughter's shirt and not only do the graphics mean a lot to her, the Tshirt is made from recycled plastic water bottles. It's so soft and she loves it. If it weren't so expensive, I would've just bought another one, but Idk if the company still makes one with that particular pic on it or not. I went out today and bought some mineral spirits but before I tried that, I thought I'd try my 409 carpet cleaner that works great on stains. Thanks for the suggestion! : )
  • Anne Wingate

Good luck! I can see why this one matters.