How to insulate drafty windows in a mobile home,

MsVicariousAmandaSue
+10

Recently moved into a double wide. Winter is coming, mini blinds are in all window with brackets up close to window. Any suggestions on how to insulate and still be able to open and close the blinds? Help, on a strict budget

• Lynn Frazel Flaherty

Definately the Frost King Window insulation makes a huge difference. Plastic you tape on and it un wrinkles with a hair dryer.

• 2dogal

Big box hardware stores carry plastic film that can be installed on the outside of your windows. It is not expensive and will help. You can also use heavy drapes, or fleece blankets with clips on the top as drapes to help with the cold. The best is to keep the cold from entering the house first.
  • Katherina Martindale

i live in a double wide also and have done these things and it helps ,
    get window insulating tape and place it around the window frames where there may be drafts, use a door stopper the length of the door (like a big stuffed tube) to stop drafts at doors also make sure to check where the 2 pieces have been sealed together you may end up getting alot of drafts there use some insulating foam or patching to stop them from coming out there too

Three M makes window insulation kits for that
  • Amanda

Hello. Are you able to put up the 3M window plastic? It helps tons. I have mini blinds and can take them off of the bracket and then put the 3M on and reattach the blinds.
    • Amc25904225

I didnt even think about taking the blinds down to see if I can get the film behind the brackets. They are installed flush to the frame but maybe, if I can get close as possible this will still help tons. Came from Tx to Mi to help my 90yr old father and cold is not my friend.
      Thank you so much for the idea
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown

3m makes a window cling film that you tape over the window, then shrink using a hairdryer...we used it on our single paned sunroom windows and it really blocked a lot of the drafts
  • Johnavallance82

Make a box frame that will drop over the blind and window and fix Plexi glass to it (Double Glazing) or find a Canvas Picture that will fit over........
  • Debbie Krusienski Lumsden

Take down the blind and put shrinkable window plastic over the window frame. Use a hair dryer to make it tight. Trim off the excess plastic if it needs to be neater. You can then rehang the blind. It is a little time consuming, but it can be done. You have to work around
    • Amc25904225

Thank you Debbie, someone had mentioned that. The brackets are flush to the frame but I am going to try to slide the film under the best I can, anything will help in this miserable cold weather they get here in Mi
  • Sue

Wet your Windows and apply bubble wrap with the flat side on the glass works great! I put it on my slider, makes a big difference
  • Amanda

You are very welcome. I hope it works for you. If not you can also purchase thermal curtains that help keep the cold out. I am in WI and I do all I can to stay warm. Good Luck!
  • MsVicarious

Trailer windows have no insulation so I placed stips of foam sheets (to fit the bottom window groove) shut the window and unbelievable. No more cold spots. Before you could stand in from of the window and feel the cold air enter. Open your window and insulate the bottom groov and shut the window, it will seal up nicely. This does not help condensation problems.