Installing Vinyl Plank Flooring in Basement - whats the best order?
I have recently bought a 3 bdrm bungalow with a great basement that needs some updating.
I need to tackle the flooring, some drywall, painting and ceiling patching.
Prepping the floor is where I am right now. I have peeled the vinyl sheet flooring off because it was already peeling off and there is some glue residue. Some areas in the basement are vinyl tiles which have been painted over in the past - they will be staying and the flooring will be put over top. My plan is to install vinyl plank flooring throughout the basement but I am reading a ton of conflicting things about laying the flooring and how to prep.
Here is my plan... any suggestions?
- Peel up vinyl sheet in main living area of basement
- Leave vinyl tiles in bedroom, kitchen, bathroom (asbestos concern)
- Do not scrape up adhesive from peeled vinyl sheet
- Apply self leveling cement primer
- Apply self leveling cement in some uneven areas (its not too bad plus it will avoid scraping/grinding the floors for glue)
- Add a moisture barrier (is it needed? the vinyl may be manufactured with on these days)
- Begin to install Vinyl Plank flooring
- Install transition strips in basement between the bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom which will all have the flooring installed
- Install moldings
Am I on the right track here?