I recently purchased a townhouse and the stairs are horrible.

+14
I need some suggestions as to when I tear the carpet off what can I replace it with. Here is a picture.
q i recently purchased a townhouse and the stairs are horrible
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 22, 2017
    http://www.hometalk.com/categories/remodeling-renovating/stairs
  • Chances are they used carpet as it has a bit of traction. Those stairs look steep, I would not choose anything slippery for safety reasons. How about cork?
    • Cory Cory on Nov 22, 2017
      Yes they are some what steep. I had my kids to go up and they told me they were scary...
  • Len lukevich Len lukevich on Nov 22, 2017
    As a contractor, I have used many times on wood stairs, an acrylic coating that has sand mixed in it. This provides a waterproof coating and a slip resistant stair.
    • Cory Cory on Nov 22, 2017
      Thanks for the info. I'll let the contractor know about the acrylic coating...
  • Ccrow99 Ccrow99 on Nov 22, 2017
    Coincidentally, I was looking for something totally unrelated last night and found “stair makeovers” on Pinterest. So many ideas. Some a little pricey and complicated, but others were inexpensive and really easy. Hope this helps you. Happy Thanksgiving!
    • Cory Cory on Nov 22, 2017
      I love Pinterest. I'll be sure to check them out.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you too :)
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 22, 2017
    Vinyl on the Tread and Rise or Ceramic Tiles or a Combination of both eg: Pretty Ceramic tiles on the Risers and Practical Wood looking Vinyl on the Treads. - or Paint or use Laminate or any combination of the above to suit your taste.
    • See 1 previous
    • Cory Cory on Nov 26, 2017
      The contractor decided to go with a darker colored carpet which I thought would be great. I'll send some pics after its finished. Thanks
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 23, 2017
    My pleasure...........
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 26, 2017
    I am looking at the open stairwell, and am wondering if you had considered filling in the steps, from the perspective of increased safety, for everyone, not only younger children, and older adults?
  • Sharon Sharon on Nov 26, 2017
    I like the open look and the stained wood, I would just make sure to have a good stair railing.
  • Cory Cory on Nov 26, 2017
    Yes, thank you. I did decide to add the handrail.