How to clean caulking turned black between SS sink and quartz counter

+9
I have a stainless steel sink installed in my kitchen. It is not a drop-in sink but installed underneath the quartz countertop. I noticed that the clear caulking the contractor used has turned black in certain areas where water is always present. Is there any safe way to clean the black stuff off the caulking without damaging my quartz countertop or stainless steel sink? I’d hate to think I have to replace that caulking only after three years of use.
q how to clean caulking turned black between ss sink and quartz counter
  • Vinegar. Use an old paint brush to apply or pick one up at any dollars store. Vinegar will stop mold spore growth.
  • Janice Furtado Janice Furtado on Nov 25, 2017
    Try using Q-tips dipped in bleach, the black is more than likely mold. Once it is completely dry recaulk that area to fill that crevice so that it barely protrudes, to prevent water from creeping inside that area

• Julia Mason Julia Mason on Nov 25, 2017
    The reason it has turned black is it is black mold. use some bleach water to kill it. Then rinse and use vinegar to scrub it out.
  • William William on Nov 25, 2017
    Do not use bleach. It can affect the countertop or sink. Use vinegar like Naomie suggests. An old toothbrush can help.
  • Kim Kim on Nov 25, 2017
    Listen to Naomie!! Bleach may damage your countertop and Vinegar actually kills more mold and mildew types than bleach does!
    😊
  • Joe Pollarine Jr Joe Pollarine Jr on Nov 25, 2017
    Use a small brush and paint on bleach till irs clean then rinse
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Nov 25, 2017
    Vinegar has both antibacterial and antifungal properties and is used in home medical care for cleaning supplies for reuse. If you are able to get it all off, it should stay away if you clean the area occasionally with the vinegar.
  • Joye R. Foster Joye R. Foster on Nov 25, 2017
    Bleach is not recommended for quartz. I would call the company who makes the quartz and get advice. Quartz is so expensive.
  • Galen W. Yoder Galen W. Yoder on Nov 25, 2017
    Use vinegar and your husbands tooth brush when he's not looking!
  • Akk49824853 Akk49824853 on Oct 28, 2020

I just noticed the company that did my granite countertop and undermount kitchen sink failed to apply caulking so there has been a leak for years, what do I do

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 28, 2021

Hi! Vinegar will remove the mold that is on the surface, but it will probably keep coming back if it stays wet. Good luck!