Asked on Dec 7, 2017

Can I use salt pork drippings instead of lard for making bird feeders?

Kevin ClarkDesertRoseFL
+5

I need fat to hold the bird seeds together......can I use salt pork instead of suet , lard or peanut butter ???????????????????????????????

• Sandra Allen
    Sandra Allen

This is as close as I could come using bacon fat. Hope it helps.

• Pjo26908388
    Pjo26908388

Nut butters work great! Healthy for birds and adaptive to different temperatures. Lords and other fats do work, but can get terribly messy and drippy with heat.
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I wouldn't, don't think the salt would be good for them.
  • FL
    FL
    • Lorraine
      Lorraine

Thank you for your wonderful info........I did mention salt pork which I have on hand, but I guess it would be the same as bacon fat right? I will try your recipe and let you know how I made out. I baked some corn bread (for birds).....it has attracted the big beautiful woodpecker and the junkos.......but if they eat it up too fast, I will have to tell them I don't have all day just to bake for them. I tried a little bit because it's all good ingredients, but I did not like it...{IT IS FOR THE BIRDS} Thank you again for your info Sim
  • DesertRose
    DesertRose

I would say yes, we never had any trouble with pork.
  • Kevin Clark
    Kevin Clark

I would avoid the added salt. Wild animals balance their sodium intake pretty well. Adding it from an unusual source may spike it and birds have sensitive circulatory and pulmonary systems. The equivalent of mild acute hypertension could be fatal or cause significant health issues for them.