How do you clean sheepskin throw rugs?

+5
Those sheepskin throw rugs you can buy at Ikea or Costco are great looking but my dogs love to lie on them and end up tracking their dirt, etc. as a result. Spot cleaning with spray rug cleaners don't do the trick. Can they be dry cleaned?
q how do you clean sheepskin throw rugs
  • David Robert Duncan David Robert Duncan on Jan 19, 2018
    WET ITEM,SPRINKLE WITH WASHING POWDER,WATERBLAST.
  • Isla Isla on Jan 20, 2018
    No, they can be washed, with glycerin. My mother would do them, but can't remember all she did,
  • Nee Nee Nee Nee on Jan 20, 2018
    I have a sheep skin rug and yes the dogs LOVE the rug. I shake it often and I plan to wash it this spring with a light mix of water and White Gardenia scented dish detergent in a spray bottle. I found the dish liquid at Williams Senoma. Afterwards i will use the water hose to wash the rug down, shake it, hang to dry and pray that the birds don't like it before it dries. Continue to shake the rug as often as possible. You might try using a 🐕's metal tooth brush to lightly fluff the rug hairs. Good luck!
  • Nee Nee Nee Nee on Jan 20, 2018
    Use a dog's metal tooth grooming brush to gently fluff the hairs.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 20, 2018
    Yes, do what Anita says - gently wash it! Make sure you get all the soap out with the hose as soap is a dirt magnet...
  • Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Jan 20, 2018

They can be machine washed if you use cool wool setting and a soap/shampoo without any enzymes. Other info is offered in this article.
    Remember ancient man washed leather goods in the local river and then layed over a bush to dry.
  • Emily Emily on Jan 20, 2018
    Hi Anita, I wash things and dry on my hammock. In one case (can't remember item) I did not want any presents from birds, Since the hammock has a drop in it, I fastened with clothes pins a "cover" made out of a light material that would let light and air through but catch any unwanted gifts. I made that be more rigid than the item I was drying. Tessie, I would google the manufacturer and read their instructions.