Why isn't my lilac bush blooming?

+4
A neighbor gave me a small lilac bush which I transplanted in my backyard about four years ago.It is on the south side of my backyard. Should I prune it back? The bush has been growing taller but no blooms. I am anxious to have this bloom as a keepsake from my neighbor who has passed away.

• CATHY CATHY on Feb 15, 2018
    It probably needs more light. I had one that didn't bloom until I moved into full sun.
  • Lisa Lisa on Feb 15, 2018
    They need at least 6 hours of full sun... and they prefer a more alkaline soil...Lilacs bloom on old wood so be careful when pruning. YOu need to prune them in the Spring right after they bloom so they will boom next year. IF you prune to late, the lilac will not produce blooms for next year. If you already getting a full 6 hours of full sunlight (not filtered), then you should try amending the soil. I would add manure and other organic material to the soil. If you bush is planted i your yard and you fertilize your yard your lilac is probably getting over fertilized which also keep sit from blooming. (I had to move mine to a different location away from grass to get it right). Just like roses they dont like their feet to stay wet, so well drained soil is a must for them.
  • Lisa Lisa on Feb 15, 2018
    Hope it helps! 😀