Asked on Feb 28, 2018

How to keep my oven clean inexpensively?

Shore grandmomJanet PizaroSharon
+6

I need an easy, inexpensive way to clean my oven, as well as advice as regards the most efficient way to keep the oven clean.

• Marissa Morin
    Marissa Morin

You can get aluminum protectors to put in the bottom of your oven. If you have a modern oven, it should have a cleaning cycle on it. It turns the spilled food in the oven to ash and you just wipe it out. If you do have a clean cycle and use it, remember to take your metal shelves out as they cleaning kind of gums them up and they start sticking when you pull them out and push them in.
  • Tina
    Tina

With baking soda and vinegar sprinkle the baking soda on the oven and then spray it with the vinegar and it'll start working
  • GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Heather, I lined the bottom of my oven with aluminum foil and replace it about once a month, it helps so much! They also make specific liners just for this task that I think you can purchase online or at Walmart.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I use the liners that you purchase. You can take them out and clean them and they last a long time! It really helps!
  • Try to get into the habit of wiping down the stove / oven after each use. Then you do not need to spend huge chunks of time cleaning gunky messes. Mise en Place . . .

This works for everything in your life, not just in the kitchen.

• Sharon
    Sharon

I find putting either foil on the bottom of the oven or one of those mats reduces the amount of time having to clean the oven. I use the large foil, apply when the bottom is still damp and smooth it out really well and I cut it long enough to curve it up the sides about a couple inches on each side. Make sure its not touching the heating element.
  • Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

I, too use the mats. But if you have a gas oven, keep in mind that the mat shouldn't go on the bottom. It should be placed on the very bottom rack, under what might bubble over or spill.