How can I keep my yellow squash from rotting?

+5
We live in Northwest Louisiana. My squash plants grow really big and are so pretty. They will make a few squash, then they start to rot. Both the plant and the new squash. Help!!

• Karla Karla on Mar 02, 2018
    • Pam Pam on Mar 02, 2018
      Karla, thank you for the web site. Going to look at it now.
  • Amanda Amanda on Mar 02, 2018
    Hi Pam. It sounds like you may have blossom end rot. I would find a plant food that has a lot of calcium in it. This helps get rid of it. I use tomato-tone, and it works well. You can also find sprays to help. Here is a link with more info. I wish you luck!
    • Pam Pam on Mar 02, 2018
      Amanda, thank you for the advice and the web site. Going to look at it now.
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Mar 02, 2018
    Louisiana has more shades of green than even Unicorn SPiT can make. To get that lush greenery you need lots of water, and La. has it: fog, dew, rain, floods, and high humidity. But that much moisture brings molds, mildew, rot, and other issues for garden plants. After your squash, watermelon, tomato, cucumber, and other bearers of heavy fruit/vegetables start growing, begin removing the bottom leaves. When the squash begins growing, start lifting the produce off the ground. Use pantyhose strips, tomato cages, wood or plastic upended pots and boxes, chicken wire, strong twine, etc. to tie up or hold up your fruit of the vine. And, obviously, try to have good drainage in your garden. With inches of rain in a few hours, sometimes you are gardening in mud. Put down dry mulch, hay, crushed charcoal—anything porous to help aaprotect the roots and stems of your plants. Very best wishes ☺️
    • Pam Pam on Mar 02, 2018
      Jewell, thank you so much for your advice. I am memorizing it all right now.
    If you use every suggestions we all have made, you may have prize-winning squash!