Asked on Mar 9, 2018

How do I clean flat paint?

Fiddledd224Chubby58Karla
+5

I live in a rental where every room is painted in flat white paint. With a teenager and a toddler how can i clean the fingerprints and dirt, and keep the walls clean?

• Deb K
    Deb K

Microfiber cloths are perfect for so many jobs including walls, mild soap and water, rub gently rinse, wipe and voila!
  • Laura Jo Lubeck
    Laura Jo Lubeck

The Mr. Clean Magic sponge works wonders also. They sell them even at the $$ stores, but I buy a bigger container with various sizes from Costco. Dampen it and rub gently!
  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I use microfiber cloths (they have them at the dollar store) and Mr. Clean erasers. Careful with the erasers though, as they can remove paint. Clean from the outside to inside of any marks so that you don't spread them. A bucket for the soapy water (a drop or two of Dawn works well) and a bucket for the rinse water. Don't let water drip down the wall.
  • Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

Buy a whole package of off-brand Mr. Clean Erasers at Dollar Tree. Use a small piece before you clean with anything else. From your own pocket, buy washable white paint and put a coat on corners or other abused walls. Find out what schedule the landlord uses for repainting—often not until a new renter is moving in. See if you can negotiate a paint job using washable paint. Or start a paint fund to do the job yourself. I once covered the “kicking wall” in my son’s room with clear Contact paper. When I took it down when my son outgrew the toddler kicking, the Wall didn’t even need cleaning. Best wishes ☺️ P.S. I made a rule for the grandchildren to always leave their shoes in a box by the front door, wet or dry. That has saved hours of polishing and vacuuming the floors. Socks make fewer scuffmarks on walls as well as floors this way!
  • Karla
    Karla

My builder used flat paint on the walls, why I do not know. I tried everything and I mean everything, it always took the paint off as well and I would have an unsightly spot on the wall, it looked like I tried to clean it. So, what I started doing is barely getting the paint brush wet and go over all the spots once a month. At first I thought this would take forever, but it is actually quicker than trying to clean it. Maybe ask your apartment maintenance for some paint and try that. Just another thought.
  • Chubby58
    Chubby58

Ask your landlord if you can repaint your rental in the same color, if you can then use a satin or semi gloss. Much easier to clean.
  • Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! Followed by Windex if the sponge leaves residue.