Darlene George Edwards
Darlene George Edwards
  • Vancouver, WA
Asked on Mar 24, 2018

What material is best to make a pattern out of : butcher paper or news

JanaBetsyElizabeth Michels Pinizzotto
+4

I'd like to make aprons and vests for gifts what is best to make a pattern out of?

• Jeannie

NOT NEWS, ink can come off, I use freezer paper, which comes in a big roll.
  • Pjj11945116

News paper sometimes leave black print marks on your cloth so use paper. Check dollar store as the have cheap paper table clothes it works great and much cheaper than butcher paper. I hope this helps and saves you money.
  • Carol Thomas

I like butcher paper best...no nasty ink to deal with.
  • Linda Sikut

There is a paper available that's called Pattern paper - I've read that you can get it inexpensively online. It's similar to the paper on the Dr.'s examining table (which is another option, if you can find a company that sells 1 roll at a time) Honestly, I think butcher paper is too thick if you're using pins and, as others have said, newspaper will smudge ink all over your cloth. Wishing you the best.
  • I would use brown Kraft paper or butcher paper. Newspaper might give off the ink on your hands or fabrics.

If you are going to use the pattern over and over, what I do is get muslin (it's pretty cheap) and put some iron on fusible interfacing on it and mark the pattern on that. Cut it out and you have a nice patten you can use over and over. You can write on it and put the directions, pattern name, size, name and number and all sorts on it. Newspaper is too flimsy, and as the others said, the ink may come off.
  • Jana

I would use butcher paper, or a brown postal weight paper. You want the patterns to stand up to a bit of wear and I think the heavier paper will hold better. If you don’t have that around use newsprint, just use pattern weights instead of pins to hold it.