Asked on Mar 27, 2018

Towels are now stiff and rough - help!

JewellmartinLina SplichalCindy
+9

• Dfm
    Dfm

did you add a fabric softener? Or softener sheet in the dryer.? Stiff towels generally have been line dried, you can soak a wash cloth in water, throw it in the dryer with the towels And softener sheet. Give it a 15 min. Spin. Check them. getting softer?

Occasionaly you may need to get the softener residue out of the towels. Add vinager..a good cup full to the wash. No soap or detergent. Wash,dry.
    • Anne
      Anne

I've always just added frabic softener, not dryer sheets. I will try your way.
      Thanks,
      Anne
  • William Thompson
    William Thompson

I use two Purex tabs with my stiff and rough towels in the washer. It really cleans and softens them. They are also at least 5 years old.
    • Anne
      Anne

Hi William,
      They don't sell Purex where I live. I just may have to drive to the U.S. to purchase them ( we don't live far from the border).
      Cheers,
      Anne
  • Sharon
    Sharon

wash them in hot water and only add a cup of vinegar, when the load is done wash it again in hot water but add a cup of baking soda and finish the load! Dry as you always do! They should be soft!
    • Anne
      Anne

Hi Sharon,
      Your idea is worth trying. Everyone is mentioning vinegar, yup going to try .
      Thank you and Cheers
      Anne

• Han11807599
    Han11807599

Just read earlier on line to use a cup of white vinegar & half a cup of baking soda in the wash cycle. Wouldn't hurt to add a quarter cup of the vinegar to the rinse cycle either.
  • Cindy
    Cindy

When we lived in our old house, our towels always came out rough. We moved into our current house three years ago. I expected the laundry to come out rough since we only moved a few blocks away from old house and used same soap/softner. To my surprise the towels came back to soft after laundering them a couple times. The difference? New house has a water softner. It has made all the difference in the world. Even showering and shampooing is better.
  • Lina Splichal
    Lina Splichal

Throw them in the dryer with a couple tennis balls.
  • Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

Do you remember an episode of Frasier on which Natalie “flooffed” Dr. Crane’s undies? My husband and I did, and started fluffing her undies. They didn’t last any longer, but they were much softer. I try to fluff our towels before putting them in the dryer, and again after taking them out, before folding. I usually use fabric softener on white towels; often not on dark towels. The fluffing makes more difference than the fabric softener. Best wishes ☺️