Does a small azalea plant do better in a pot or in ground?

+16
I notice the plant dirt appears very dry; when I water it, it immediately loses water out of the bottom of the pot.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 02, 2018
    Azaleas will perform better in the ground, however if you want to keep it in the pot-re-pot in the next size container with drainage holes and fresh soil
  • Janet Panos Janet Panos on Apr 02, 2018
    Hello! Azaleas do extremely well in the ground if you live in a milder climate. They like the drainage and yet there should be mulch in the style to maintain moisture. For your convenience, I’m providing the link for you to click on to learn all about the different azalea plants available and how to best raise them successfully. Good luck!

• Darnell Moonda Fugate Darnell Moonda Fugate on Apr 02, 2018
    Every plant does better in the ground. If you want to keep them in a pot just make sure to sit the pot in a pan of water, almost as deep as the pot, for 1/2 hour each week. If outside, then 2 or 3 times a week. This will keep the water in the soil and not let it run immediately out of the pot, Water runs straight through when the soil is so dry that it can not penetrate the soil. you can always Google any care of plants. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/azalea/azalea-plants-in-pots.htm

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Apr 02, 2018
    in the ground in a shady area
  • Itsmemic Itsmemic on Apr 02, 2018
    azaleas are outdoor plants...they do best in the ground where nature intended
  • Janet Janet on Apr 02, 2018
    Is your plant root bound? If the roots are too large, the water runs through it when you water the plant. You might need a bigger pot and more (fresh) soil.
  • Edean Edean on Apr 02, 2018
    In the ground
  • Angus021461 Angus021461 on Apr 02, 2018
    Starting in a pot then plant in ground

• Cgc31687975 Cgc31687975 on Apr 02, 2018
    Yes it has.
    Yes, it has. Answer this Hometalker's question!
    You’re welcome! Florida is the perfect place for azaleas! They are such a beautiful plant and my favorite, too. I can’t grow them outdoors because I’m in Illinois. In the 30’s here today. If I get a potted one for Easter it typically lasts just a week or two.