Asked on Apr 5, 2018

What is the absolutely easiest way to deer proof my garden?

Debbie/Dragonfly TreasureAnnDD
+5

The deer eat everything, either as it comes up or when its mature. I don't want to fence the whole thing, because the fence would need to be 8 feet tall to keep them out, and it would be unattractive and expensive.

• Beth Hubley
    Beth Hubley

I have tried a couple of options and I have found that what works best for me against deer or any other garden invaders is to purchase Irish Spring soap. Shred the soap around the edges of the garden or along the beds using a hand grater that you would use for cheese or cabbage. You will need to redo this every few days especially if it rains or if you hit it when you water. I have noticed that even if the soap has dissolved, the dear don't come back immediately. They are creatures of habit so they seem to skip over places they didn't get food the night before! I don't know how scientific that is, but it has been my experience! LOL!
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa

I use shavings of Irish Spring Soap
  • Gk
    Gk

Get a dog!
  • DD
    DD

Some of the tips in this article may help, I have used deer netting they don't like how it feels on their nose and they move on it sometimes seems to blend with the plant
  • Ann
    Ann

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure
    Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Deer turn their noses up at fragrant plants with strong scents. Sages, ornamental salvias, and lavender, daffodils, garlic, annual vinca, marigolds, coneflowers

Use a vegetable peeler on the bar of Irish Spring soap and scatter shavings around plants and bushes. There's a product called Bobbex that works really well if you have something you want to protect though!

I read this from Gma Kirk: A farmer gave me a gross recipe for repellent...but it works. cup or two of urine, tablespoons of crushed garlic, and cayenne pepper, two eggs in a gallon jug, shake well, fill rest of the way with water. Cap and let age a week. Then you drizzle small stream around the perimeter of whatever you want to keep them from eating - works on rabbits too!