How to wash down pillows

+4
Some examples have been given for washing other kinds, but I
have not seen anyfor down/feather pillows.

• Seethebeauty Seethebeauty on Apr 12, 2018
    the only way I know how is to seal them in a netted case and zipper it. It keeps the feathers away from everything, but I'd be interested to see what others do.
  • Ireland Dowling Ireland Dowling on Apr 12, 2018
    Hello Jochatain! I am the goose-down queen! I wash all of my pillows, blankets, and so on in my regular washing machine. The key is to use either tennis balls, or now you can even purchase ready made washing machine balls that you just throw inside with your pillows. They keep the feathers from clumping, and so on. The throw them in the dryer along with the balls, and you'll have near perfect results. :)
  • My washing machine tub easily accommodates 2 down or feather pillows. I use 1/4 of the recommended dose of a good low suds detergent, a couple heaping tablespoons of baking powder and vinegar in the rinse cup. Then place in dryer with felted wool dryer balls until they are about half dry (use delicate setting), then lay in sun between old beach towels. When completely dry, toss back in dryer for a few minutes to fluff up. I still have pillows made by my mom in the late 50's.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 12, 2018
    If you wash down feathers - they will clump together and smell like wet birds and take many hours to dry and you will have to be constantly shaking them. I know I did it years ago.....Big Mistake!!!!
  • Emily Emily on Apr 12, 2018
    I have washed and dried down pillows many times as I used to actually remake the pillows. Made the pillows here as well as the shams that cover them. I did have something "explode" once and unfortunately that was in a commercial laundry. . . I think that was a comforter though. I would recommend putting any such pillow in another pillow case that is pinned closed or in a mesh bag with zipper. I always use old tennis balls in the drier have not tried them in the washer.