Asked on Apr 17, 2018

Deck boards have sections of decay

Johnavallance82Joy30150932William
+7

Can deck boards with sections of decay be salvaged or must I replace the entire board?

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures
    Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Kinda depends on where it is. Is it structural or load bearing? Can you post a few pics?
  • Jcraw
    Jcraw

Not to be facetious, but it likely depends too on how high your deck is And how well-used.
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

You can cut and splice in a new piece of Deck board.
    • Gay White
      Gay White

Thanks for your reply. The floor of the deck is approximately 1&1/2 feet from the ground and there is barely any space between the boards. I can't imagine how I would be able to cut the decayed sections out or what tool to use. Any further suggestions?
  • Liv
    Liv

You can replace sections, but the stains and fading might not be the same.
  • Ken
    Ken

You need to cut from floor joist to floor joist so the new piece has support. Making it match the rest of the decking will require painting the entire deck.
    William

Replace the boards. Not worth the trouble of trying to save something that has started to rot. Most of the time it's from inside out. Can attract bugs/termites and continue to rot.
    • Gay White
      Gay White

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems much more feasible to just replace the boards. I don't want to attract termites, etc., and I definitely want my deck to be safe to walk on. Although the boards are very long, I think I can handle the transport of replacement boards much better than other repair options that I even came up with.
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

You should change the whole board because it may be spongy which will become dangerous to walk on.
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Use a large Drill bit to make holes, into which you can fit a narrow saw. Cut back to midway on a supporting joist. Fix new board between joists and secure.