Before I do all the work of taking up veneer on my bay window...

Could someone please tell me what type of wood is normally under veneer??

  5 answers
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on May 06, 2018
    It really depends. What is the veneer on? A seat or around the window? Pine is usually a cheaper wood because it's on the soft side.
    • See 1 previous
    • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on May 06, 2018
      It could be some kind of wood, probably pine if it's wood or it could be particle board. If it's particle board, it probably started to flake and swell if it got wet. If it's wood underneath, I would probably clean and sand it smooth and put a wood look contact paper down. That way if the plants leak again, it would be easier to clean up. If it's particleboard, you may have to replace it. Unfortunately you won't know what is under there until you take the veneer off. Good luck and let me know how it's going.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on May 06, 2018
    Are you sure it’s veneer? Veneer was usually only used on furniture for a more attractive surface. Is it plywood over pressboard? That doesn’t make any sense unless it’s a newer home.
    Could we please see a photo? I’m baffled.
    • Lois Lois on May 06, 2018
      There was a small piece taken out of the veneer, when I picked at it I could see it is very very flimsy thin wood, so I tried to patch it, but the wood filler would not take the stain. The house was built in 1975. So I assume it is wood veneer!
  • B. Enne B. Enne on May 06, 2018
    Veneer can be on plywood and MDF too.
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on May 06, 2018
    It really depends on the wood. You can try some on it, and decide if you want to put a new layer of wood or veneer if it doesn't work. Without seeing it, that's my best advice. It is laminate, the quality will be poor and not worth the trouble.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on May 06, 2018
    Interesting. Could you send us a photo?
    Why do you need to pull it off?
Your comment...