Should I pull these white stalks off our sedum?

+4
q should i pull these white stalks off our sedum
  • Elsie Lash Yates Elsie Lash Yates on May 09, 2018
    Yes, they look like the flower spikes. They fall off, but takes time, they can be cut out.
    • Barb Verbos Barb Verbos on May 09, 2018
      Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear! They look so bad. There's a bit of this stuff in my hydrangeas, too. Can I cut them out?
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on May 09, 2018
    Yes, they are the dead, dried stalks from last year's growth. I twist them and they come out clean as a whistle!
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on May 09, 2018
    You can cut back the old dead stalks and new growth will come.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 09, 2018
    yes that is last years growt
  • Chris B Chris B on May 09, 2018
    She is right you can, but I have a problem with cats laying in my and smashing them so I leave a few to make it less comfortable for the cats. The plant will grow up and cover them quickly.

• Elsie Lash Yates Elsie Lash Yates on May 10, 2018
    Hydrangeas usually have dead limbs that can be cut much lower, removing that whole limb ground level. I would wait until you can see the leaf buds, and just trim the deadheads down some to where the leaf buds are starting to bud. Otherwise you might not have any blooms this year.
    The dead ones will not leaf out.