How to hang something heavy on a stucco porch wall

+10
  • Betsy Betsy on May 18, 2018
    You really need to find a stud. You could use a butterfly anchor, but I wouldn't trust it. How heavy depends on what type of anchor you would need. Check at the materials handling desk at your local home improvement centre, they have a lot of knowledge and are more than happy to share it with you.
    • Dav27535163 Dav27535163 on May 18, 2018
      Thank you. My intent is to hang wooden shutters. They are pretty heavy. The stucco is over cement blocks. Home constructed about 7 years ago. Again, Thank you.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on May 18, 2018
    i know you’ll want to do more specific research on Google, but i know you’ll need a very specific masonry drill bit and likely molly bolts. Put tape on stucco to reduce splintering. I’d start with a small hole, then graduate to necessary size.
  • Nicki Petruzzella Kerns Nicki Petruzzella Kerns on May 18, 2018
    Yes, hang it from a stud and make sure you use a wall anchor. Pung61 called those butterfly anchors; in my area they're sometimes called molly bolts.
    • Betsy Betsy on May 18, 2018
      And, sometimes toggle bolts:) Whatever you call them, use enough for your project:)
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on May 18, 2018
    You need to find the stud or a solid wall behind and then drill a hole for a heavy hook or screw.
  • Bijous Bijous on May 18, 2018
    Stucco can be tricky. Hit it wrong and you can really take a chunk out of it. If your house is block and stucco, use a masonry bit and hangers designed for masonry. If it's a stick and stucco, use a stud finder and then use wood anchors. You may hit the wire mesh. If so, use a metal drill bit to get through that to your stud. Good luck.
      Thank you. My intent is to hang wooden shutters. They are pretty heavy. The stucco is over cement blocks. Home constructed about 7 years ago. Again, Thank you

• Betsy Betsy on May 18, 2018
    Ah, then you will need to get masonry anchors and drill into the cement blocks and not into the mortar that is holding them together. Try and get at least an inch to an inch and a half from any edge so that the blocks don't crack. Finally, do use enough anchors. Remember the saying about the kingdom being lost because of a nail! You don't?? Well, it goes like this: The shoe was lost because of a nail. The horse was lost because of a shoe. The battle was lost because of a horse. The kingdom was lost because of a nail. My shutters are vinyl over wood and have been painted once, from black to white. They've been stuck to the house since 1968 and still look good. And, they're not too heavy:) Check them out before you make a commitment. Still, talk to the guys at the mill works desk:)
  • Betsy Betsy on May 18, 2018
    You're very welcome and I think you'll do a fine job!
  • Betsy Betsy on May 18, 2018
    You are very welcome. I'm sure you will do a fine job!
  • Betsy Betsy on May 18, 2018
    You're welcome. I'm sure you will do a great job!