Need frugal ideas for preventing erosion on a steep slope

+5
I have an almost vertical sloping hill in my backyard, so difficult to cut. I want to either plant a fast growing ground cover that is inexpensive, or cover it with something (mulch?), also needs to be inexpensive. I'm worried about mulch ending up at the bottom of the hill after a hard rain. Any suggestions would be great!

• Jcraw Jcraw on May 23, 2018
    Call your local garden club for advice, and possibly free cuttings.
    Or check local farmers.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on May 23, 2018
    Sedum once it takes is virtually indestructable with its net-like roots.
    • See 1 previous
    • B. Enne B. Enne on Jun 04, 2018
      I bought a few small plants on sale cheap. Then when they took, I kept propagating them, and filling the gaps. It took a good couple of years
  • Diane Diane on May 23, 2018
    Have you thought about landscaping timbers or railroad ties and terracing it?
  • Teresa Teresa on May 23, 2018
    Plant beans pintos or any other and let them go to seed. They'll replant themselves each year. Moss from the woods grows well pretty much every where
  • Betty benesi Betty benesi on May 23, 2018
    Interestingly, one of the best plants for erosion are grape vines though on a steep slope they would be difficult for you personally to plant. Ideally, you want a ground cover with deeper roots and this maybe you also would need help planting.