Leaves or Sand?

+6
We’re leveling out back to lay some brinks. My husband says to use sand and I say use the leaves etc. that’s already in the yard. Which is best?

Thanks so much!

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 29, 2018
    you need a leveling base to install pavers.leaves will not work
  • Cheryl Gillman Cheryl Gillman on May 29, 2018
    I would think leaves over time would disintegrate and eventually turn into a mulch and then disappear, I think personally I would use sand. But if you're thinking of cost you could always split the diffrence and do half and half lol
  • Tin33377132 Tin33377132 on May 29, 2018
    Hello,

Sand is your best option. Leaves or any other organic material will decompose over time and undermind your base. It's important to prep the base for a level surface, takes a bit of time,but is totally worth it in the end. Once done, laying the brick is very fast. This is just one of many tutorials you'll find on line.
  • Rachel Rachel on May 30, 2018
    leaves will not work you need sand sorry but your husband is correct

• Emily Emily on May 30, 2018
    Sand.
  • Pam Walker Pam Walker on May 30, 2018
    NEITHER ~ Sand moves each time it rains with the humidity in the air. Leaves will disintegrate over time. I think it'll be best to use cement or some other more stable base for your foundation.
  • Jaynie Jaynie on May 30, 2018
    Sand, without a doubt. The leaves will compost and deteriorate.
  • Linda B. Linda B. on May 30, 2018
    Use sand and keep the sand leveled before you lay the bricks. After laying the bricks pour more sand on top of the bricks. Use a stiff broom and sweep the sand into the spaces between the bricks and cracks. This will hold it all together. I'm a senior lady and I did this my self.
  • Donna R Hornock Donna R Hornock on Jan 10, 2021

Sand.