Need to create a drought-resistant yard; should I use bark or rock?

+4
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 07, 2018
    Do you have edging so the mulch does not wash away
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jun 07, 2018
    first, plant drought resistant plants .. then you won't need so much mulch; Personally I prefer bark, shredded cypress, wheat straw, etc.as it will decompose thru the years and can be easily moved away to plant -- rocks, even over landscape barrier material will collect seeds/leaves/weeds and is a pain to keep nice without a lot of effort -- look into what will grow well in your specific area https://www.epa.gov/watersense/what-plant
  • That kinda depends on your budget and how often you want to reapply. Bark breaks down so it needs to be refilled or replaced more often
  • J J on Jun 07, 2018
    I am going to be working with a blank canvas so to speak. We are in a new build without landscaping.
  • Joanna - Gingham Gardens Joanna - Gingham Gardens on Jun 09, 2018
    Neither. Rock retains heat and will dehydrate anything you plant in it. Bark, well it just doesn't do anything. I would recommend using a good layer of mulch. Mulch will help retain moisture, shade the roots of plants and help to keep down weeds. Good luck!
    • J J on Jun 10, 2018
      Wow! i Had no idea; you’ve given me good information to go on. Thank you!
  • Joanna - Gingham Gardens Joanna - Gingham Gardens on Jun 10, 2018
    You're welcome! Good luck!