Asked on Jun 14, 2018

How do you protect screening on a lanai from cats?

Deb KPaigeCaryn Campisano Rowe
+6

Don't want to block the air, just want to keep the cat from scratching or tearing the screen ...

• Alice
    Alice

Essential oils are completely natural and made from plants. Oils like citronella, lavender, peppermint, lemongrass and orange tend to repel cats when they smell them and are nontoxic. To make a homemade solution of these oils, mix one part essential oil with three parts water, recommends
  • Sharon
    Sharon

They make pet proof screening sold on the roll.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

Give the cat a scratching post seasoned with cat nip. Some cats are vertical scratchers, others like horizontal scratchers. If kitty is going for the screen, a vertical post Post with platforms attatched. Known as a cat tree will keep them occupied.
  • Landsharkinnc
    Landsharkinnc

from the inside or outside ? there are vinyl coated very light weight wire that could be put up ( either side ) that is virtually invisible when installed https://www.amazon.com/Welded-Wire-Gauge-Vinyl-Coated/dp/B00CPRTXQ8
    • Andrew Beavis
      Andrew Beavis

Great idea as even the pet safe is not strong enough to defeat the cat.... how are you attaching It to the Lanai ?

• Shortcake
    Shortcake

Hello Caryn, Spray bottle and fill it with water and when you catch the cat scratching on it then spray the cat/s and tell them to stop!. It works, but you'll need to stay with it.
  • Caryn Campisano Rowe
    Caryn Campisano Rowe

Thank you, everyone! Great ideas … :)
  • Paige
    Paige

Sorry for chiming in to this thread so late, but I just had to share this in case it helps someone out. I wish I had gotten this advice years ago as a cat owner.

My best advice?

Give the book " Ultimate Cat Secrets" a read.

It really is the only long-term solution to discipline your cat, OP.

This might come as a surprise to you, but your cat actually wants to obey you.

It’s kitty’s independent, sassy nature that makes you fall in love with him, but it’s this very attitude that makes it frustrating to train fun behaviours into your favourite feline.

Cats respond best to positive reinforcement – yelling, punishing or disciplining your cat just won’t work.

In my opinion, Ultimate Cat Secrets is a must-have for all cat lovers. It's not just a cat training manual – it’s one of the quickest and most comprehensive guides to living with a cat that I’ve ever seen.

The easy access audio format makes it a breeze to digest from your computer or your mobile device and the lessons inside are easy to implement. And if that’s not enough for you, ordering now will score you FIVE great bonuses:

1) How to toilet train your cat and get rid of that stinky litter box forever.

2) Extra tips audio program which includes basic first aid and tips on my favourite kitty calming remedy.

3) Pet medical recorder – an absolute essential for parents of asthma cats or any kitty with a chronic medical condition.

4) Downloadable transcripts of the entire program and all the bonus materials.

5) 100 recipes to pamper your feline friend.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Here's a link to their site