Asked on Jun 15, 2018

Flower pot drainage material?

JanicePatNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+7

Is there something lighter than rocks I can use for drainage in a large flower pot? My granddaughter wants to make a fairy garden, and the pot my wife bought will weigh 50 lbs if I fill the bottem with rock. Maybe mulch or packing peanuts?

• Dfm
    Dfm

packing peanuts work nicely.
  • Debg
    Debg

Styrofoam packing peanuts allow drainage.
  • Bonnie
    Bonnie

Try coffee filters.
  • Emily
    Emily

you can use crumbled up foil, or anything coarse that will not disintegrate too much, also broken up plastic etc.
  • Packing peanuts, water bottles, soda bottles. Fill 3/4 of the way with filler then add the potting medium. If using succulents, they are shallow rooted and that will be more than enough soil for them to grow. Just know it will be top heavy. I would build in place.
  • Janice
    Janice

I'd suggest large pieces of styrooam be used rather than the packing peanuts unless you also add some type of landscape fabric over them. I did the peanuts a few years ago and after a major rain, they floated to the top and overflowed onto the patio. What a mess! Just the voice of experience. :)
  • Pat
    Pat

I use empty pop cans, sort of crumpled up, in the bottom of my big pots.
  • Janice
    Janice

In large pots the peanuts can be used, just contain them in mesh bags to keep them contained.