Asked on Jun 28, 2018

Need ideas for inexpensive patio decor

ImjhaleMargaret Juliana Walker BrandtJoy Elizabeth
+7

i just moved into an apartment with 2 patios- one off the living/dining room and one off the master bedroom. The one off my bedroom faces the parking lot, so no privacy. The one off the living room faces a grassy area that a lot of my neighbors take their dogs to poop. I would like to provide some privacy when we sit outside but I don’t have much money to spend. Also, it can’t be anything that defaces the apartment building or is permanent. Another problem is that the walls and ceiling are stucco. Any ideas? I appreciate any and suggestions. Thanks!

• Oliva
    Oliva

Can you erect a lattice screen (supported by a frame, perhaps on wheels, in case you need to move it) and place potted vining plants in front of the screen?
    Janet Pizaro

browse through here,alot of good examples, once you decide on one idea search garage sales, thrift stores etc, for items to repurpose for privacy

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

There's always the fabric option. You could purchase drop cloth and spray it with the fabric seal for outside fabrics to get it to last as long as possible.
  • Happy Days Hometalker
    Happy Days Hometalker

The inexpensive bamboo shades found at home depot or even the beach mats ( even cheaper ) you can hang up for privacy, use a lot of color such as pillows, a rug, a homemade upcycled table in between 2 patio chairs to set a glass of wine on, a few plants, enjoy !
  • Joy Elizabeth
    Joy Elizabeth

Drop cloth is an affordable outdoor curtain material, and conduit makes a great floating frame to hold the privacy curtains. I found this post it might help :)
    httpsnstateofmindblog.com/2016/09/diy-floating-outdoor-curtains.html
  • Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions! Not sure how I could hang anything out there due to the stucco surfaces everywhere, but maybe I can do the idea of the framed lattice screen on wheels. I have already been looking for unusual thrift store or garage sale finds to decorate. I have been trying to figure how much sunlight each patio gets in order to find plants to grow. I hope to be able to post before and after pictures before the end of summer.
  • Imjhale
    Imjhale

I saw free standing, retractable, horizontal shades for just this purpose. Expensive I'm sure but I would think you could borrow the general idea and make a simpler certain of it. Sink some posts into plastic buckets ($5 at Home Depot, etc) and staple indoor/outdoor fabric ($$$) or inexpensive canvas drop cloth to one side and to a 2" x 2" pole cut to same width as fabric. Use hooks and eyes or 'S' hooks etc to hook it onto other post. Roll it up when not in use for a long time or during heavy wind. You could do both sides with hooks and eyes and remove. You could also attach PVC or inexpensive aluminum conduit to top of posts and use as a curtain rod, or stretch a clothesline to posts and use to hang curtains etc. Put weights in bottom hems. You can paint canvas if using drop cloths
    • Thank you so much! So put concrete in the buckets to hold up the post? Or do you think putting dirt around the post in the bucket would be enough? That way I could plant flowers in the bucket to make that prettier. I wonder if I could paint flowers on fabric that would look like a room of flowers instead of a fabric wall? So many ideas!
  • Imjhale
    Imjhale

I think it would depend on size and weight of both the poles and fabric. You could always drill holes in bottom of bucket, add rocks, then weedblock or scrap of screen, then add potting soil and flowers. Weight, drainage and flowers! Good luck!