Asked on Jun 29, 2018

What is the best way to cover bathroom wall tile?

Bck9637198Zard PocleebJaney B.
+11

I have ugly color wall tile from the 50s or older that doesn't match my bathroom colors. I don't like the color and want to know an inexpensive way to cover it without tearing out the walls.
It's burgundy and peach
  • Zard Pocleeb
    Zard Pocleeb

You can paint the tiles.
  • Amanda
    Amanda

Hello. You can purchase a special epoxy paint for tile at a local home improvement store. Good Luck!
  • Janey B.
    Janey B.

I have the same issue. Mine is brown with white spots. Ew. I bought epoxy paint and have been told by others that used it that it will work great. You just need to follow the directions and be willing to be without use of the area for 48-72 hours so it can set. It is also very strong odor wise they tell me and you need to be sure you can open windows etc. I chose white but there are several colors. Good luck to us both! 👍🏼

• Zard Pocleeb
    Zard Pocleeb

It seems that there are special paints for just about every purpose. I have done a couple of these jobs, and whether a paint is expensive or not depends on your definition of expensive. It looks like a fairly large area, so it can get costly, but not as much as re-tiling the area. If you Google “tile paint” you will get a lot to choose from. Lastly, you are going to need to know the square footage of the area so you know how much paint to buy. Just disregard this if you already know how to fgu it out. Start on one tiled area on one wall. Measure the height of the tile from top to bottom. Then measure the tiled area from side to side. Measure the height times the width, and that is the square footage for that wall. Do the same with the other 2 walls, add the square footage from all 3 walls together, and that gives you the square footage for the job. Make sure to buy a little extra because the manufacturer‘s information on the can is usually less than you’ll need.
    • Talisa
      Talisa

Ok thank you, that is very helpful. It os a small bathroom but a fairly large area with tile, it goes up over half the wall.
  • Bck9637198
    Bck9637198

The person at this blog http://www.ramshackleglam.com/2016/07/22/a-bathroom-tile-makeover-with-paint/ says "It’s a silly-cheap solution ($28 for the paint, about $15 for the brushes, drop cloths, etc)." That was about two years ago. The biggest drawback is the smell evidently. She didn't mention the price of a respirator.