Kitchen cabinet makeover advice??

DaveTcsWilliam
+6

I have white cabinets in my kitchen. I believe they are the original ones out in 2006. The cabinets are peeling, but it looks more like plastic over wood. I not sure if I can just paint these cabinets or if there are other steps needed.

q kitchen cabinet makeover

This is a pic of one of the drawers. The whole piece came off in one chunk.

q kitchen cabinet makeover
q kitchen cabinet makeover
q kitchen cabinet makeover
  • Sew21669110

I am not a cabinet expert, but those look like a plastic laminate over MDF. So there is not much you can do to repair the damage. Sorry.

• Cindy Hagemann

These are not real wood but a manufactured wood called MDF. If you can get the current paint off - you can then prime with Kilz and repaint them.

• Aiokersonalicea1

Definitely MDF. If you're not able to finish taking the previous coating off, you may have to take it to a cabinet shop and have them refinish it. Prayerfully you'll be able to get the old coating off and put some Kilz on it and repaint. I never have seen anything like this happened before. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having.
  • Elisabeth Mackey

Hi, it's definitely thermofoil over MDF. I don't think painting would look nice. Check the Internet for Kitchen Parts. You can order just drawer fronts. Then unscrew the damaged one and replace it with a new one.
  • Kandy Scott

I have the same problem. I peeled off what I could, sanded the edges, then painted. On a couple drawers the entire surface came off. I went to HomeDepot with a piece of the covering and they matched the color exactly. I painted the wood spots and it looks better. NOT great. but better.
  • Deborah

If you have the parts that peeled you can glue them down with contact cement. If you don't I would try filling the voids with bondo, sanding them smooth, scuff the rest of the door or drawer front and apply bonding primer, then paint. Take a drawer to the paint store to make sure you get an exact match unless you want to paint everything.
  • Tcs

Easy! Just pull all the thermofoil off and paint the MDF. We used satin finish in grey with clear wax sealer. Easy.

• Dave

I had exactly the same ones white at first then some daft idea was to paint them black which was horrible, I decided to peel the plastic laminate of so it was bare to the MDF wood, went over the plastic with an iron to help release the glue that its stuck to, peeled them all off, wiped them all down little sand, coating of primer then a coating of all use paint back to white put handles back on then all done have a look

• See More