Joan
Joan
  • Nipomo, CA

How does one decide on the width of the deck in proportion

Virgie JaquessJoanB. Enne
+8

to the length and height of our cottage. We will soon be building this deck in front of our cute cottage and I don’t want it to be over bearing. If that is even such a thing.

q how does one decide on the width of the deck in proportion

Our cottage before a new deck we will be adding. The fence will come down and plants moved.

• Shore grandmom

It's really a personal preference and a budget decision. You could go wall to wall or kick it in some.

• Darling cottage! My vote is for a deck running the entire front of the house. In front below the deck, have a single variety plant, like heather, rosemary, lavender, or whatever is drought tolerent and low maintenance, yet high impact, across the base of the deck. Replace the non existent grass with xeriscaping.

• Laura Cooper

I think that color will be a bigger concern than size. The deck is low to the ground and won't make a huge visual impact unless the color stands out too bold. I would consider white band boards and railing. Check out some of the two tone decks on Google search images.

I agree with Shore and Naomie. Personal preference and budget. Running the full length of the house would be visually appealing and not overpowering.

• B. Enne

I would go the whole length of the front. Alternatively, you could just do the section left of your front door, since your windows are higher there.

• Joan

thank you! I think I will do it the full length of the house.
  • Virgie Jaquess

do the full length and make the ceiling 12 feet from eaves. That is the maximum length you can go and can use metal hangers to hang 2 x 12 keeping at least a once inch drop per foot.