What is the best way to remove old wall paper but cover the wall with?

Karen DBeth WaytMoo7212990
+5

I have removed part of the wall paper using warm water. It is, I think from the 1970's .

q what is the best way to remove old wall paper but cover the wall with
  • Bac3759729

I have used Dif, can get a walmart, or my neighbor just did her kitchen using Snuggle fabric softener.
  • Jeanette S

The only way is hard work! I had to take down wallpaper that had been up for years and some of it came off in very small pieces...as small as 1". You can score it and buy products to spray on that cuts the glue.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead

add fabric softener to the water
  • Donna Rust

I remove wallpaper professionally. I do not recommend fabric softener, because it leaves a residue on the wall that can hinder the bonding of paint. A scoring tool can damage drywall if it is used by a heavy handed guy. You need to determine what kind of paper you have. If it is a vinyl top layer with a paper backing, I use hot water with a DROP of dish soap, applied with a sponge, to wet the vinyl layer so it can be peeled off. Then wet the paper under layer,(with same solution. If that doesn't work. I use DIF available at Sherwin Wms.) and let it soak until it turns a darker brown, and is ready to scrape off. ( I usually use a 6" putty knife, not plastic) to remove larger area at a time.) This is what 90% of wallpaper is these days.
  • Moo7212990

A wallpaper steamer is the quickest and easiest way for the job you are doing ,inexpensive to buy or to hire

• Beth Wayt

Vinegar

• Karen D

Vinegar and water works wonderful. I used about 1/3 cup of vinegar to a cup or so of water. Spray it on and give it a few minutes. If you have to score the wallpaper it will be easier after it is wet. The nice thing about this is that it also removed the paste. It make take a couple of passes, however it is a relatively easy job. My 84 year old father helped me to remove mine.