How to get mold out of old stone basement?

+11
Answered

150 plus years house previous owners had dryer in basement with no venting /mold/smell .any one have ideas that could help that aren't too labour intensive .I know that may be just dreaming lol . thank you in advance. Heather

  7 answers
  • Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Sep 17, 2018

    How about 100 of those little pine scented trees you see people hang from their car mirrors?  I think you need to supply some fresh air and exhaust out old stale air. There are mold killers that can be sprayed on to the surfaces to kill mold. You need to ensure the basement is dry, and you may want to paint the basement after attacking the mold and moisture issues.

    • Heather2229 Heather2229 on Sep 18, 2018

      Hi Ken, I laughed so hard picturing the tree air fresheners .your advice is so appreciated .

  • Phyllis Elliott Phyllis Elliott on Sep 17, 2018

    Spraying bleach or bleach mixed with water kills mold ......I’d be careful though to make sure you do not have the bad mold that can alter your health in a major way.....it was just on tv the other night ( today is the 16th of Sept 2018 ) but I’m sorry I don’t remember what channel ,but the mold was a specific kind not just black mold.....the husband wound up with Alzheimer’s like symptoms finally ending up having to retire ( he’s better now but never bounced back 100% ) their toddler who was speaking and growing well became non verbal and other neurological problems which this particular strain of mold attacks and the wife had problems but not as severe as the other two. It started in an attack that wound up with a roof leak. It was a newer build and once the Drs suggested checking they found out it had spread behind the walls and hasmat suited cleaners had to come in to find out the whole house with everything ...and I mean everything in it including clothing was all contaminated. It wound having to be torn down and even the lot vacated .....I’m thinking it was maybe on Fri. Or Sat. Evening of last week .

    • Heather2229 Heather2229 on Sep 18, 2018

      thankyou for the health information so kind of you it is a concern .when I go down in the cellar my eyes sting.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Sep 17, 2018

    Hi Heather! My house has caused us some of the same problems. We have stone walls, and rock and concrete floors so moisture is an ongoing issue. Our best investment has been an energy efficient dehumidifier that pulls 4-8 gallons of moisture out of the air a day. With all the humidity and rain we've had this year, more days have been 8 gallon days than 4. It's easier to keep it dry in the winter, since we have radiators in our basement that we added, years ago. If there are mold issues, be sure you aren't also dealing with health issues. Some mold is dangerous, and none of it is good for you, when it's in your house. A good air circulation system might be the ultimate answer. Good luck!

  • Nora Hicks Nora Hicks on Sep 17, 2018

    you most definetly need some sort of ventelation system before tackeling this issue, i love useing tilex mold and mildew remover, its amazing !!!! again make sure you have some ventelation for fresh air.

  • Louise Louise on Sep 17, 2018

    hydrogen peroxide kills mold. then I would suggest dehumidifiers.

  • Better ventilation, even portable fans will work. A dehumidifier will help too. Use vinegar to wash everything. Ceiling to floor.


    https://restorationmasterfinder.com/restoration/what-kills-mold-bleach-vs-vinegar/


    https://www.servicemasterrestore.com/blog/mold-damage/mold-myths-will-vinegar-kill-mold/


    https://www.servicemaster-restoration-cleaning.com/2017/03/30/mold-myths/


    Yes it will be a lot of work, but you have the privilege of living in a piece of history. Work in sections and do not get overwhelmed. How about having a cleaning party? Then grill up dinner for everyone or order in pizza or your favorite take out food?

  • Judi1 Judi1 on Sep 18, 2018

    You need to get rid of the mold first by cleaning with vinegar. Use a dehumidifier to get excess moisture out of air. If your basement has porous blocks, you may have to skim coat with hydraulic cement. I recommend coating basement walls with a sealant like drylock.

Your comment...