Can I cut back my giant lilies and big leaf asters?

+4

The lilies are bulbs so maybe like tulips they have to stay until October or November? The asters are blooming now. So cool! Thanks!

• Blaire Simpson Oslander Blaire Simpson Oslander on Sep 24, 2018

Bulbs can be cut back, but to maximize the health of the bulbs, try bundling the tops with raffia, or other ties, until completely dead. At that point the bulbs are dormant and can be removed or just the tops gently pulled off.

• Cindy Cindy on Sep 24, 2018

Hi Susan. I'm Cindy. It really helps to dead head the lilies while growing but do not cut the stem back. The stems will green and produce the energy needed for next year's blooms. Wait until the lilies have died completely and then cut them all back to the soil.

• Joanna - Gingham Gardens Joanna - Gingham Gardens on Sep 25, 2018

Hello there, Susan - it sort of depends where you live and what gardening zone you are in. In my zone 4b gardens, I cut the tops off of my lily stalks so they don't put energy into making seeds. I leave the rest of the stalk until it starts turning brown (which is sometime in September) and they cut it to the ground. With the asters, just wait until they are done blooming for the season and then it's okay to cut them back. Good luck with your gardening!

• Amanda Amanda on Sep 26, 2018

Hello. I cut back my bulbs (tulips, & daffodils) after they have finished blooming to keep my gardens looking clean. Mums and Asters I also cut back after they have finished blooming. Sometimes we end up getting snow before I can get to them so then I leave them until Spring.