Fig Tree producing fruit but not ripening?

I live in Northeastern NY My tree is well over 6ft tall and has over 60 figs but they are not ripening, It has full sun all day.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Oct 04, 2018

The most common stress responsible for when figs don't ripen is lack of water, especially in high heat conditions. Fig trees in containers are especially prone to this. If a fig tree does not have enough water, the figs won't get ripe because the tree is trying to preserve itself and its seeds

• Wipe the "bellybutton" with a dot of olive oil. This helps trap the ethelyne gas inside. However, if they are still hard and sour this won't work but there are plenty of recipes out there for green figs. Check this out

http://theitaliangardenproject.com/stuck-with-green-figs/

• Fran Fran on Oct 04, 2018

Thank you for the info . I will try the olive oil on a few and if not the recipe sounds delicious too.

• Depending on the type of fig, they can take a long time to become ripe. I have 3 trees, one well established and 2 younger trees. 2 of them are loaded with fruit, but it will be Thanksgiving (at the earliest) before the fruit is ripe. (I am in CA, Zone 9) Best bet is to try and identify what type of fig you have. Contact your local Ag Extension or Master Gardener at a nursery where you live for the best localized info.

Nothing like fresh figs off the tree, I wish you well!