How would I treat this lilac tree?

+4

I have a lilac tree that is looking diseased. The leaves have a silver look to them.

• Scott Watson Scott Watson on Oct 14, 2018

That's a very common mold

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Oct 14, 2018

Could it just be dying back for winter? Take a small branch to your local nursery and ask

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Oct 14, 2018

Mine does that every year, I think it is the aging process of the leaves. My tree is healthy and flowers in abundance every spring and the leaves get that silvery look every fall. I hope this helps you!

• 2dogal 2dogal on Oct 14, 2018

Take the leaves, still on the branch to your nearest plant nursery. They know plants and should be able to assist you. Or go to your County Agricultural Extension office. They are so helpful and knowledgeable.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 06, 2020

Hi Jan, you can prune it back. Just cut the branches you don't want, or those that are dead. They do like a good watering now and lots of sun. If your soil is on the dry side, you can amend it by adding Miracle-Gro® Garden Soil for Trees & Shrubs. In the spring, feed them with a good tree and shrub fertilizer. Here's a site that may add some more information: https://www.thespruce.com/lilac-bushes-growing-tips-2132722