What's the best way to clean stained toilets?

+6
  • If it's a rust stain, you can try vinegar. They also make a product called Scouring Stick. It's pumice and will remove rust. Be gentle, though, you don't want to scour through the finish.

• Kat Kat on Oct 18, 2018

Thank you I'll try vinegar 1st. I had just read about a pumice stick. Thanks for the tip bc that was my concern.

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 17, 2018

Hi Kat: It may sound like an urban legend, but plenty of folks swear that Coke dissolves toilet rust rings. Here's how: Pour a full can around the rim so that it fully coats the bowl, then let it sit for a couple of hours, or over night, to allow the acids in the soda to break down the stains. Scrub with a toilet brush, then flush. Good luck

• William William on Oct 17, 2018

I squirt a few squirts of Dawn dish liquid in the toilet. Pour in about 1/3 box of baking soda in the toilet. Pour in some vinegar so it starts foaming. Swish around with a toilet brush to really foam it up. Leave it for about an hour or two. Then a little scrubbing with the toilet brush. The suds suspend the vinegar above the water line to get rid of the ring.

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 18, 2018

By the by Kat. Here is a little tip that works really well. It's not for rust, though, it's for the unpleasantness that is sometimes left behind:) Hie yourself down to the dollar store and pick up a bottle of that cheap perfume, one of the smells that you can live with:) Then, after flushing the toilet, and when the water is filling in, spray the water with about 3 or 4 squirts. Not too many sprays, or you will be overwhelmed with the perfume smell. The room will smell nice. Cheap and easy:) And, some of the bottles are pretty enough to display!

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Oct 18, 2018

Sure, William, that should work. There are men's colognes that smell pretty good at the dollar store, too. Essential oils are expensive, so why not use the cheap stuff? Try a few squirts of your cologne in the water and let me know what you think:) I think you'll be happy with the results.