Asked on Nov 17, 2018

How can we block the sun on west side of carport from heating up the r

Swan Road DesignsKarinMary Bottelli
+21

How can we block the sun on this west side of the carport from heating up the rooms off it?

This carport is 9 metres or almost 30 feet long

• Teacup8885
    Teacup8885

Maybe a piece of canvas or painters drop cloth, either nailed, stapled or on a curtain rod!? Could put it all the way to the ground or just enuf to block sun. Could use rocks glued or heavy washers or metal rod at base sewn on/in..

• Bryan Biery
    Bryan Biery

Rollup shades?

folding louverez shutters?

• Kaye
      Kaye

Roll up shade is the way we are thinking of going,thanks for you imput!

• Cindi
    Cindi

I see you have a garden between your fence and carport, maybe some evergreens, skyrockets along the fence would be a nice permanent solution and enhance your landscaping which will also give you privacy from your neighbours, although you may need a few since your car port is 30' long. Some grow higher and wider than others. This may also allow you more space when opening your car door as well. I live in Canada so you may have more options where you live. I hope you post pictures of what you decide to do. Good luck

• Cindi
      Cindi

So glad you liked my idea, good luck with your design, looking forward to seeing your creation. I'm sure any shrubs that grow tall and not too wide would work for you.

• Mary
    Mary

Perhaps you could build lattice along that side of the carport? Either the ready-made panels or make your own sturdier ones. And where the current plantings are, you could plant some climbing vines? Or as someone suggested, a couple of roll-up shades. Here in AZ there are tons of options for effective sun shades, so you could have them rolled up when you want some sun/heat and down when you want to block it.

• Kaye
      Kaye

Thanks Mary, I personally love the idea of lattice with climbing vines but husband leaning towards a blind fabric.

• KatieAnn
    KatieAnn

Mary has the smartest solution. If you want to do something immediatley rattan shades would be effective. There is a product called a cool-a-roo, it comes in different sizes, shapes, & colors. We use one as a sun shade over our deck and it blocks the sun coming in through the doors. I believe you could mount as a screen by attaching it with ropes to the posts of the carport.

• Kaye
      Kaye

Thanks Katie- Ann my husband agrees with you about the shades. cool-a-roo is an Australian company that he knows.

• Lucy Marie Bernier
    Lucy Marie Bernier

Sun shade. But then again I got new screens in my place and blocks out the sun really well. Or you can do this ? Shower curtain to give me more privacy and something pretty to look at !

• Mad29883817
    Mad29883817

Tint the windows

• Kaye
      Kaye

Thanks! the windows are tinted but hard to see in the photo. Think fabric blind is the way we are going to go.

• Is this a new build? Or a new to you home?

How about a roll up bamboo shade?

• Larry wallace
    Larry wallace

I had a similar problem, only mine was a screened-in patio, I went to my resale places like Goodwill and such and actually found mine at HABITAT resale store and got two bamboo roll up shades for $15.00.

• BrokeCrazyLady
    BrokeCrazyLady

I tried the fabric blind... and it was a total failure in my Arizona Desert home. The sun rotted the fabric in under a year and the next wind we had blew the blind to shreds.

I tried the lattice idea, and while it worked, it also fell victim to the sun and wind.

The best solution I found was to plant trees far enough away that they shade the area in the afternoon... and I planted trees that drop their leaves in winter so I can utilize a little solar warmth as well.

If you do decide to go with fabric, ensure you get something UV resistant and intended for outdoor use... and don't let it flap in the breeze. Put strong hems along the edges with tie hooks and tighten that baby down.

• Judy
    Judy

I would try using PVC pipe for a curtain rod, shower curtain hooks and drop cloths for a curtain. It's inexpensive and you can pull them back and tie them to your posts on windy days. When they get worn, the drop cloths are cheap to replace. Don't forget, drop cloths can be dyed or painted to suit you.

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Get a sail shade! They come in many colors and sizes, are made to be outdoors, block the sun yet still allow air to circulate. You'll love them!

You can start shopping from here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=30%27+sail+shade&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS800US800&oq=30%27+sail+shade&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4288j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

😎🔨🌈

• User
    User

Easiest thing to me would be to install solar screens on those windows.

• Mary Bottelli
    Mary Bottelli

I installed ready made plastic lattice and planted climbing jasmine 23 years ago for shade, privacy and curb appeal. They still look great. See photos.

• Karin
    Karin

If you live in a mobile home park the first thing you should do is talk to the people in the office who manage the park. Many of the solutions offered here would be "against the rules" in the park where I live. Some of the "rules" are mandated by the state of California and some of them are just "rules" set up by the people who own and run this park. Then look around and see what other people do as well as asking the park personnel what they recommend.

• Swan Road Designs
    Swan Road Designs

I totally endorse Coolaroo fabric and fabric shades. We ended up with a serious sun problem after having to have some trees removed from the west side of our house.

I made a large shade out of Coolaroo fabric I purchased from Amazon and our porch and living area that was too hot to sit in became totally comfortable, along with reducing the heat in the rooms on the west side of the house.

Coolaroo is guaranteed to be UV resistant and has a lifetime warranty. So glad we did it.