How do I remove and install a new toilet in the bathroom?

+7

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Dec 01, 2018

Here's a video that might help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG_w0RiTpvk

• Leah Leah on Dec 01, 2018

Shut the water off to the toilet, then flush to empty tank. Take bolts out of base. If strong enough pull out with tank. If not take tank off. Buy a a new wax ring before you start. After toilet is off, take out wax ring, put new one in. Put toilet back in. Go t utube, put in replace toilet in search. It will give you videos to watch.

• Dwp7470b Dwp7470b on Dec 01, 2018

Let this one up to the pros. It is a process of removing Screws, replacing the Seal and aligning the toilet, but the Job of getting the Toilet Aligned perfectly on the seal is not for the newbie. 'If you need to ask just call a pro', applies on this job. As, if it isn't aligned perfectly you end up with a leak. Maybe not an instantly noticed leak but one that starts small as the seal dry rots or warps and that can destroy a Ceiling Downstairs plus damage electrical.

• See 2 previous
    • Yes, you are absolutely correct about that! Hopefully they learn to do it the right way and can save themselves some serious coin, or in this case c-notes . . .

• Tom Stuart Tom Stuart on Dec 01, 2018

My toilet is one piece with the bowl and tank combined. It is heavy and awkward. I have replaced toilets before but my back is not what it used to be. I called around to plumbers and handymen and got a rate of $100. I checked Yelp for good reviews.

I cleaned around the toilet before he came so I could do a quick job of cleaning the floor when the toilet was removed. One of my bolts also needed to be replaced. For $100 plus $7 in parts it was worth it. Home repairs have to be budgeted for at a reasonable price. I agree with Naomie that $300 is way too much. Shop around.

• You were lucky and got a bargain. Back in 2007 I need to replace 2 toilets in my mom's house. It was unoccupied at the time, so I did all the prep work myself, drained the toilets, removed them from the bathrooms and had the new toilets in the house. THEN by an unfortunate turn of events, I broke my right foot. Had to call a plumber and did shop around and had to pay $175 each to have installed (which was basically seating the new wax ring and hooking up the water.) I had a 30 yard container [dumpster] in the driveway and positioned so the old toilets could easily be dumped into it. Mind you this was 2007 . . . 11 years ago. Now I have back issues, arthritis and just can't plain lift the toilet by myself like I could years ago, and $300 was a low end quote. Ridiculous! I would never pay that much.

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 01, 2018

Hello, the first thing you need to do is shut the water to the toilet off, if you don't have one, you can also install a shut off valve on your toilet water line at this time.

once the water is off, flush the toilet and remove the tank lid to bail out any remaining water in the tank. You should purchase a new wax seal, they are relatively inexpensive.

Once the tank is empty, put old towels or tarps down along the route you will be moving the old toilet out, like hallways, etc. to protect flooring or carpets from water dripping out.

At the base of the toilet, there are bolts, which may be covered by caps, remove caps and check what size wrench you will need to remove the bolts.

Remove the bolts and put them in a ziploc bag to keep them together and not lost.

Get help to lift the toilet straight up and off the bolts that come out of the flange on the floor. Put it outside or out of the way. Remove the old wax seal gently, and put into plastic bag so it doesn't make a mess.

open new wax seal, and put in place where you removed the old one, then gently with help, put the new toilet base onto the flange bolts, then sit on it and ensure it is set properly. Assemble the tank part and set it on, attach with bolts that came with it, ensure you do not over tighten on the porcelain you could crack it. Hook up water line and turn on water, check for leaks at this time, and install toilet seat, test flush and it should be ready to go!