Carolyn
Carolyn
  • Granite City, IL
Asked on Dec 5, 2018

How do I attach shelves to a wall?

DebkerEliseTex11597626
+9

I have several shelves I want to hang that have key hole backs. Every time I’ve tried to hang them, the shelf doesn’t sit flush to the wall. How do I attach them and not have them fall forward?

q how do i attach shelves to wall

These are the two types of shelving.

q how do i attach shelves to wall

I know I need to use a screw to attach this to the wall, but it still has a gap along the top edge.

q how do i attach shelves to wall

This one looks like I need a ledger board to attach it.

q how do i attach shelves to wall

This is the front of the one with a key hole for hanging in a screw.

q how do i attach shelves to wall

The front of the other one.

q how do i attach shelves to wall

Closer picture of shelf without key hole hanger.

• Diane Coverdale

Can you take a picture of the shelf holder attachments on the wall? Are the "holder" attachment / part adjustable? Meaning the you can 'screw' or install (hammer) them into the wall further? It seems like they're sticking out a bit too far still. This seems like a trial and error sort of task.

Are you using plastic wall anchors? The screws need to be barely flush with the wall. Just adjust the screws till the shelf slips on snuggly. May take a few tries to get it right.

• Landsharkinnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3r2ooRwVdE but --- if the WALL itself isn't totally FLAT, there may be minor gaps where the shelf touches the wall

• Grace Gleason

Those look exactly like the shelves I got rid of, for exactly the same reason.. NO WAY were they going to sit flat against the wall. Now, I would probably make some wood pieces to fit in the slots and set the shelves on those. The hole "protector" on the top one pushes it away from the wall & causes a gap. The plastic hanging bar on the other one just doesn't fit. They were made to fail.

• Maureen

Looks like you need to make cleats to hang the last on e

• Tex11597626

The metal key hole sits on the surface on the back of the shelf, it needs to be recessed so it is flush with the back of shelf. The screw that goes into the wall needs to be a flat head screw. Then you turn the screw in or out to get a snug fit. The other shelf should come with separate angled cleats that screw to wood 2x4’s inside the walls. If not , angled cleats need to be made from wood with the angle similar to the shelf angle. The separate cleats are attached to the wall so that the shelf cleats lock in to the wall cleats.

• Elise

Bonjour. Vous avez besoin d’un morceau de bois avec l’angle inverse de l’autre morceau que vous fixez au mur. L’angle vers le haut et c’est très solide.

Bonne journée.

• Debker

Hi, I may be coming in a bit late here, but these are designed to hang on 2 screws that are in wall plugs or directly in a stud, the video show a similar mount type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3I48Onmf_4