1. Remove all the cabinet doors and lay them flat on saw horses or a table. Remove all hardware, including doorknobs, hinges, latches, etc. Do not paint over existing hardware.
2. Clean the surface area of the wood with a mild soap and water solution. If there is a heavy build up of grease, Krud Kutter is a product that works very well and will not damage the wood.
3. Lightly sand the exposed cabinet surfaces with 220 grit sandpaper. Sanding the surface will help the paint adhere properly. Smooth out any rough areas or imperfections.
4. Apply a coat of oil based primer to all exposed surfaces. Oil based products are the best option when painting kitchen cabinets as they produce a harder finish and hold up better.
5. When the primer is dry, sand the cabinet surfaces lightly once again.
6. Apply a high quality oil paint finish coat to all of your kitchen cabinet surfaces. Select a finish that suits your taste and décor.
7. Apply a second coat of paint to your kitchen cabinet surfaces.
8. When the cabinet doors are completely dry, reinstall them using new hardware. Add knobs for a finished complete make over of your outdated kitchen cabinets.
couldn't have said it better!! it's truly a daunting task ... and as popular as 'chalk' etc. paints are -- the oil base paint is really the way to go!
Hi Kendra, Use a roller on middle panel and a brush on the outside frame...
Hi Kendra! I can tell you how to paint your kitchen cabinets with Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint! :)
It is super easy to paint with Dixie Belle:
Step one: Clean with White Lightning
Step two: Paint one to two coats of Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint
Step three: Use Gator Hide for a water-resistant finish
I am attaching some kitchens that have been painted with Dixie Belle Paint so you can see the outcome.
Also, we did have a series of LIVE videos on a step by step tutorial of how to paint your kitchen cabinets. If you would like to watch them....
Day one: https://www.facebook.com/DixieBellePaint/videos/1609328872527961/
Day two: https://www.facebook.com/DixieBellePaint/videos/1610860225708159/
Day three: https://www.facebook.com/DixieBellePaint/videos/1612437375550444/
Day four: https://www.facebook.com/DixieBellePaint/videos/1615506548576860/
If you ever need help or have any questions you can feel free to call us at 813-909-1962 during business hours. We have a full staff here eager to help you!
We have an awesome group on FB that gives you all kinds of help if you are interested. click here to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsWhoLikeDixieBellePaint/
Here's exactly what we did: