Asked on Dec 10, 2018

How do I cover the outside vents around my house?

Joy301509322dogalFrances
+3

I have an older brick home. The vents are as old. Need something DIY to hold over to warmer weather and have new ones put in. It's really cold outside.

• Radiator mesh would work as a temporary fix. You can't block the vents completely, the house needs to breathe.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Are you referring to vents in the roof or on the eaves? That would make a difference.

• Lynn Sorrell

Any vents or exhausts are needed for moisture control(eaves-roof) or venting fumes from inside house from furnace waterheater etc.. They should not be blocked. Maybe you need additional better insulation,in attic/crawl spaces.Where are the "vents" you're talikng about.

• Frances

Around the crawl space at the bottom of the house. Not the eaves/roof.

• 2dogal

I just did this! Yes! The vents around the house in the crawl space need to be blocked during the winter. I got a high R-rated thick styrofoam type board and cut as many as needed to a little larger than the size of the vent. Then I pushed the cut styrofoam into the vent from the outside. It's holding, and think it will through the winter.

A neighbor cut inch thick boards with cheap pulls on them to cover the vents.

Today's UBC (Universal Building Code) does not recommend vented crawl spaces. It is recommended that a heavy tarp be laid over the dirt in the crawl space and up the sides.

• Joy30150932

If you can remove the covers, do so and then stuff insulation into the pipe and put the cover back on until you can around to changing them.