Asked on Dec 13, 2018

Are pleated whole house water filters safe anymore?

RussbowLynn SorrellMogie

I have a whole house water filters system and water softener. .I ordered a new filter the guy dropped it off yesterday. .different filter ask him why. .it was always the pleated kind .said his company did a test and the pleated were holding to much bacteria. . funny I caught a stomach infection and Dr said it could come from bad water or food. .had to take Antibiotics. .has anyone else heard about the pleated water filters. .we have well water. Thanks. .

• Mogie

All I could find was this article on bacteria in water filters. Hope this helps!

http://www.michiganradio.org/post/study-bacteria-can-grow-faucet-water-filters

• Lynn Sorrell

We use solid activated charcoal w/ separate flouride/chemical filters

• Russbow

Unless you have excessive floride, you are not doing your teeth any favor, and the activated carbon will remove any residual chlorine, which is helpful in keeping everything steril and germ free. Setting an OPEN top container for an hour or so will evaporate any chlorine. If you have a well with hydrogen sulfide, very small amounts, the activated charcoal will remove that too.

• Russbow

With 20 years extensive experience in the business itself, I would need to know a bit to comment. It's odd and unusual to have a "filter" paper or solid AND a water softener. If sand and or rust particles from iron in the water that has oxidized in the pressure tank, it might make sense to keep it from clogging some of the controls in the softener, like the eductor that draws the brine, and the screen in the brine refill. In my 20 years, I never once heard of bacteria in that type of filter. However, MY solution, would be to add about half a teaspoon of laundry bleach to the paper filter housing as you fill it, and let it set for 20 minutes before you use any water. A water analysis AND a bacteria analysis would be most helpful.

• Betty

Hi Thanks for the reply. .the system was bought from Culligan .they are the ones that told me there pleated filters held bacteria. .he said Culligan did their own test. .maybe it was the company they were getting them from. .my husband put it in but we never checked any writing on the plastic it came in .I have also bought a couple of pleated ones at Wal-Mart. .they were from 3M company. .thanks again for the reply and wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas. .