Lolly
Lolly
  • Lomita, CA
Asked on Dec 16, 2018

How do I sound proof my bedroom wall next to the bathroom?

LollyLynn SorrellMary
+4

My bedroom wall joints to the bathroom and I can hear everyone using the toilet it’s making me sick. I already bought some sound proof sponge for the wall but it’s not working help?

• Ken Erickson

Soundproofing insulation inside the wall helps. A new wall can be installed over the old wall (not touching). That may require some electrical work depending on your layout.

• Joy30150932

The easiest way may be to blow insulation in between the studs if you have drywall. You can then patch the holes and repaint.

• Nancy Turner

My bedroom wall is also along the bathroom wall. We replaced our toilet with a new one probably about a year ago and I no longer hear the toilet flush at all. We went with a cheap one, about a hundred dollars that has the dual flush button on the top of the tank and it is amazingly quiet compared to our old one. We also put on a different seat, one of the no slam ones so that we wouldn't hear that either (we have to close the lid, one of my sons dogs likes to drink out of the toilet, Yuk!). Perhaps putting one of the newer water conserving ones would help with the noise in your bedroom, Lolly. It may end up cheaper in the long run. Hubby wanted a little more height on the toilet and the oval seat and not round, he had trouble getting up and down on the low height of the toilet we had. We had to replace the basement toilet, you could no longer get parts for it because it was that old, so we replaced both at the same time.

• You might try using a white noise machine, and also add more rugs, curtains, and other textiles to your bedroom and the bathroom. It will help absorb noise.

• Mary

ear plugs????

• Lynn Sorrell

Have a few questions Is this your home? Are you staying with some one room-mates,renting a room from someone? Here's your options for your home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jevPIJmABA Spray foam alone in walls does not stop noise. Renting/room-mates Definietly don't have bed on that wall put dressers there instead to help defer/block noises. Hang blankets on wall over sponges to baffle noise then dressers in front.

• Lolly

Thanks to everyone responses truly appreciate the time you all took to help. It’s my home. Happy Holidays God blessings best wishes 2019 to all