Pamela
Pamela
  • Hometalk Helper
Asked on Dec 17, 2018

Why did my paint react this way?

JewellmartinPamelaWilliam
+3

I made my daughter Max , the Grinch's sidekick. I used all acrylic craft paint. Then I started to seal it with an acrylic satin clear coat. I covered the black edges, first, no problem. Then when I did the back , I had several issues... in one spot it looked like a small streak of thick white paint, in another it looked like my paint didn't cover thoroughly, and in the picture it shows an area , like I missed painting completely!!!! I don't know how to post multiple pictures.. anyone have any ideas on why this happened? I called the paint company and they said I probably used a non acrylic paint , I didn't !!! And I want to know why before I paint the front side...if it was a chemical reaction, I would think it would have been more wide spread, than instead of 3 spots. Any one in my home talk community have an idea on why this happened ?*** I figured out how to add more than 1 picture !

• Kelli L. Milligan

Touch up your paint job and spray it with shellac. It's a neutral coating, and a good finish coat. Have no idea what's going on, but does sound like a finish reaction. What were you painting on? Raw wood? Canvas?

• Pamela

Hi , thanks for answering ! I was painting on wood that had 2 coats of acrylic paint . I plan on using a polyurethane coating in the spring. Right now it is too cold to paint it outside , or even in the garage. Painting inside is not an option because of the fumes .

Sounds like a paint reaction between the old and new. Lightly sand where it didn't take and touch it up. Could have been some oil, grease or something on the surface. did you lightly sand to remove gloss and roughen the surface? Priming could have helped Don't use shellac, varnish, or oil based poly. All have a yellow tinge and do yellow over time. Three coats of a water based poly will work.

• Pamela

Hi , thanks for taking the time to answer my question . No oil or grease on the wood , there were two coats of acrylic paint on it . I didn't sand or scuff it , because I was just going to add another coat of acrylic based clear coat , I have done this many times on projects over the years , never with this issue and there was no problems when I used this product on the edges of the wood...

But , think I might have come up with what caused the issue !!!! On the back side of the wood there was some damage , where a layer of the wood chipped away . I am thinking that maybe there was a reaction to whatever glue was in the wood to hold the layers together and the clear coat sealer, that is the only thing I can figure ... I will use a water based poly in the spring , when it is a better temperature out . Thanks again !

• Jewellmartin

Yes, Pamela, it sounds as if you have discovered the possible reason for the streaky paint. If your solution doesn’t work, let the flaws be part of your originality. I doubt if Max has flawless “skin”. Good for you for making a gift so special for your daughter. ☺️

• Pamela

Thank you ! And I am just about positive that reaction to the blue in the wood . I skipped doing the front for now , and will seal it properly in the spring when the weather is warmer. And if I have the same issue , I will just touch it up ! Thanks for taking the time to answer & comment ! 😊