Asked on Jan 1, 2019

How do I remove these mirrors?

BeckyNancy TallmanBarbara
+6

The mirrors are floor to ceilng on one wall. I am sure they are glued on.

• Mogie

To help minimize broken glass cover the mirror with cheap contact paper. That way if (and it most likely will) break the glass won't make as much of a mess.

Most mirrors are attached to the wall with dabs of glue on the backside of the mirror. A blow dryer could help loosen the glue. With a broad and very thin putty knife release the top by sliding the knife along. Wear long gauntlet style leather gloves so if it breaks you don't get it in the wrist.

You will be able to slight flex the mirror slightly , no more than a 1/4 inch so you can get longer and longer tools behind it to release the mirror mastic. Make sure you have help and make sure your all prepared before you start. Have all the necessary tools to clean up a broken mirror.

All parties in the room must wear safety goggles and not safety glasses , when glass breaks it scatters and can get in behind the glasses.

• Robyn Garner

I've got the same situation AND they are on steel studs. I think I'll have to use peel and stick wallpaper as I can't afford to re-drywall 2 walls. Good luck to you!

• Grace Gleason

If you don't want to break them, paint over them. You may never be able to put a nail in the wall, but you could use Command hooks. Why do you want to remove them? They do make the room look larger.

• Sissy

I called my local glass and mirror store and they came took them down and paid me for the mirrors .I had the big ones over my master bathroom sinks and behind my spa tub .I got 35 dollars per mirror and no work on my part .WIN WIN .

• SharylP

We have exactly the same situation in our house, so I've been exploring options for over a year. I've talked to several professionals, all of whom say DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THIS YOURSELF. Apparently the mirror is prone to shattering, and unless you're fond of the E.R., should let someone do it who knows how. A couple have suggested (like some of the other respondents), why not just paint over it if you really hate it? Upon reflection (pun intended), we've decided to leave ours alone. It does make the room look much larger. Just MHI.

• Barbara

Cover the mirrors with Contact Paper before trying to remove. Then if they break you will have some degree of control. Use all the obvious safety precautions: gloves, eye protection, long sleeves, long pants and pull back the carpet and furniture so that pieces do not land on them.

• Nancy Tallman

When I was selling my home I had professionals come in and do it. It was a very big job - yes, they can shatter or chip. But worse than removing them was the damage the mirrors, studs, and glue did to the walls. I had to hire someone to sand them down and then replaster before we could paint. Funny, I liked the mirrors but they are a big no no to young buyers in today's real estate market.

• Becky

We removed a huge glued-on mirror during a renovation and wow was it a scary mess. Don't underestimate how dangerous this is. Shards like hair will fly and be hard to see until you impale a toe on one, or a pet nearly severs a paw. We taped an old sheet over the mirror, secured at the bottom especially- thinking the broken pieces would all be contained in a pouch of the sheet at the bottom. They weren't. I would never do this again myself.

I have seen wood frames with caulking over wall mirrors to look like, well, framed mirrors. I think that's the route we'll go next time.