Asked on Jan 16, 2019

How do I organize bills and papers?

OlivaPamelaGk
+3

My husband leaves papers all over the house and he does have a desk how do I stop this habit

• If you're open to it, signing up for ebills is a great solution. I like getting them in my email so I can pay without paper and then file them away in an email folder for the future if I need them. For things that I have to or want to keep paper, I have a file organizer from Target, just plain black, that sits on my desk. Each section has a purpose: business, baby (papers for my daughter), bills. I try to tackle the bills immediately and throw away things I don't need like explanation of benefits from insurance, etc. If I let the piles get too big, they become overwhelming. Good luck!!

• Gk

I have a plastic bin with a lid that my husband puts all of his papers in so they are not all over. Once a month we go through this bin and sort out the papers.

• Pamela

Haha , did I post this question ??? .... Years ago after he complained about the house looking messy, we had 3 kids , but a lot of the mess was his.. The next morning I made our bed and l gathered up all of his stuff ..tools , papers , clothes , sports equipment , anything he left laying around , not put away ... And piled it up on his side of the bed ! , not neatly , I just tossed it there, like he tossed or left it around the house . He came home that evening , said the house looked so much better ! When he went to the bedroom and saw the bed , I told him this what was making the house messy and to start putting away his stuff ! He did , and still does 40 years later 😊

• Pamela

Sorry, I got off track with my answer , after trying several filing systems I went back to my first method from over 35 years ago. I bought 3 soft binders and dividers with pockets for each binder . One was for my bills , one for my husband's & one for household bills , the last folder I keep large item receipts . I also have a small file box , I keep medical paperwork , car titles & auto maintenance papers , insurance paperwork in there. The binders are essentially for credit card bills and other payments. Yes , I believe husband and wife should have their own accounts !!! Not joint accounts , on credit it cards !!! Bank accounts are joint ! House binder has phone, cable , water , garbage , rent/ mortgage,bank statements ... I label each folder with name of Bill , account number and phone number. Then on the bill stub I write date and amount paid and confirmation number . I keep a large paper clip , each month I clip the newest paid Bill on top .

• Oliva

Purchase a file cabinet (lateral or upright), with hanging folders, color coded and/or labeled "tax related, utilities, home/auto insurance/life, investments (by company), business related, home improvements (by room/windows/roofing/flooring, etc.), major appliances/household appliances, medical, etc.)".

Obtain a large box for all his "collectables", and if he can't use the filing system, you can toss his items together into the box, for future sorting.

I love Pam's method of curing her husband's habit!