Asked on Jan 18, 2019

How do I get a door to close?

AliceOlivaDfm
+4

I have a wooden door that gets stuck when it rains. It is hard to open and close, can you please help me. Thank you. Dan

• Gayemarie

Sprinkle Baby powder on the door-jam and threshold ...if it still sticks, lightly sand the area with a sanding block first...good luck

• Dfm

when you get dry conditions, take the door off the hinges and let it dry out. when dry paint or otherwise seal the door and door frame. you may need to sand some areas where its been sticking.

• Oliva

Applying bees wax to the wood will reduce sticking.

• Alice

you can open the screws on the hinge but don't take them out. Put a few toothpicks under one or the other at the bottom of the hinge. Put the screws back in. You may have to do this several time when the humidity rises. adjust the toothpicks and add more if needed, but this will allow the door to move freely. I did this on a closet door and it worked for me.