What would cause an apartment to smell like a cat or cat urine?

+6

There are no cats in the apartment but plenty of strays outside that roam around the apartment complex.

Please H e l p

I have a newborn baby in the house and I’m not sure if it’s safe.

• Chances are someone had a cat in the apartment. If you have carpets, get them professionally cleaned. I raised a bunch of kids with many pets in the house. Get it cleaned up before the baby starts crawling. No need to panic just yet.

• Serena Serena on Jan 22, 2019

Hello thank you for responding!

We’ve lived here two years already 😅

but I do plan on cleaning the carpets when baby is around that age!

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Jan 22, 2019

It's possible that the tenants before you had cats. A black light would show if there are any stains no visible. Then you could try cleaning with Urine Power Away for Cats by Drs. Foster & Smith. Or it's possible that there is mold and mildew present. Either way, I would contact the landlord and inform him of the living conditions.

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 23, 2019

As regards the stray cats, you may want to contact animal control. Hopefully, no one is encouraging the cats by putting out food for them.

• Carolyn from NH Carolyn from NH on Jan 23, 2019

It’s possible un nurtured male cats have sprayed around the area. Doors, bushes, screens. Smells just like it’s in every room in your house. Just a throught.

Carolyn from NewHampshire

• Doris Doris on Jan 23, 2019

I had a cat when my baby was little it would get in the baby bed and never bother her

• Darlyne Hayes Darlyne Hayes on Jan 23, 2019

I don’t think it is feral cats spraying outside. The odor is probably from a cat that sprayed inside the house prior to you moving in. There are enzymes in select commercial carpet cleaners that are non-toxic to humans that will neutralize the urine and resulting smell. You must locate the area in the carpet where the rug was sprayed in order to treat it. Shore grandmom gave good advice how to do that. I use a product called Folex Instant Spot Remover that cleans/removes the toughest stains on carpet and upholstery amazingly well with no residual smell. It states that it treats all pet accidents (or intentionals). Lowe’s has it, or Walmart online. Also, re: Oliva’s Comment about animal control? Cats are generally categorized as “free roaming animals” and animal control will not trap them, especially if they are feral, like they will dogs where there are usually ordinances regarding their running loose. I think your problem is indoors as well. The carpeting may need to be replaced by your landlord.

• Nikita Nikita on Dec 02, 2019

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents.

Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home! A herbal mixture of sorts! I now recommend it to everyone because it works so freakin' well and we save SOO much money!

You should definitely check it out, we don't even buy Odorban and the likes any longer :)

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and for a decent price as well.

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

To be honest, I don't know too much more about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a description of the spray with a long review as well.

No I have not been paid for this post nor do I make any commissions off of it. I really just want to help you guys out. I hope you don't mind.

I'm based in Sweden, by the way, so you should be able to get it too.

Good luck with the odor! It really lowers your quality of life, doesn't it?